Projects

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ricorocks

Projects

Post by Ricorocks »

I remember some projects I've folded, had to do with "antibiotic resistance" anyway other than our collective memory to discern what projects were involved?
If so is it possible, to find description, to match, like seen when choosing "F@H's web control"?

1. Is it possible to see completed project numbers?
2. How many current different projects (different projects numbers) are donors working on NOW?
3. How many projects are in the wait que, to be folded by donors?
4. Of the projects wishing to be folded, are rejected, by F@H, vs projects accepted by F@H rough ratio?
5. What kind of protocols/requirements/applications, does a researcher go through to be acceptable, for donor to work on?

Considering how important 'donors' are to the very existence of F@H, these seem reasonable questions, so as to understand some of the mechanics, were contributing to!
I suspect some of the above, may be guesses or memory by this forum, some form of interaction btwn. Pande lab & forum may be required. Questions like these, would go
along way, so as to make donors feel better more involved with F@H and donors not feeling not appreciated, for the effort.
bruce

Re: Projects

Post by bruce »

Most of the FAH "scientists" are graduate students, their mentors (typically the senior member after which the lab at that university is named), or post-doc fellows. Projects are initiated in conjuction based on the research being done by each of them, in conjunction with their mentors with a goal of writing a research paper. Once a suitable research topic is selected, FAH projects are initiated to support that research.

Ideas for future research projects may come up at any time, but generally the research is started or rejected (postponed ?) so there's really rarely anything like a wait queue where a FAH project has been constructed but not started.

It's the research topics, themselves that may be accepted or rejected based on what similar research has been documented or maybe if the chance of success is deemed low to be completed in a reasonable time-frame but that would happen before a FAH project would be initiated. A FAH project is only one research tool that might be employed, but the goal is still primarily research, not facilitating the construction of a FAH project.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

You seem to dance around the questions, perhaps do not know how one could advance to become an actual FAH project.

Simple for you Bruce, (EXAMPLE ONLY) I've got this drug I've developed & would like to have it become a F@H project as it most likely be beneficial to science:

Do I post in this forum?
Do I call phone number, text, email someone?
Do I fill out a form?

That would address the mechanics of how projects, get to F@H

Next! How does F@H decide, what Folders work on. I'm sure submissions can or cannot make, the threshold to go out to donors

Not addressed by Bruce:

"I remember some projects I've folded, had to do with "antibiotic resistance" anyway other than our collective memory to discern what projects were involved?
If so is it possible, to find description, to match, like seen when choosing "F@H's web control"?"

Sir if you don't know, just say you don't know.

Seems an esteemed organization, would have protocol/person, to disseminate 'common' questions. Or perhaps assign, newest/other Pande Grourp or (new name) to be liaison or ask questions. NYT comes to Stanford & wants to do an in depth story, about F@H. Stanford huddles (not prepared), I know talk to Pande or (other new guy).
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Looks like new FAH project fields like "antibiotic resistance" also undergo a NIH peer review (National Institutes of Health)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26485&p=266675

If I search google for "antibiotic" in fah projects then I get these links
https://www.google.de/search?q=antibiot ... .py%3Fp%3D
JimF

Post by JimF »

Ricorocks wrote:Simple for you Bruce, (EXAMPLE ONLY) I've got this drug I've developed & would like to have it become a F@H project as it most likely be beneficial to science:

Do I post in this forum?
Do I call phone number, text, email someone?
Do I fill out a form?
I think you enroll in graduate school at Stanford, Washington U. or Temple, and convince your major professor.
Good luck.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I guess it would also be possible to join the FAH Consortium if you are a lab or a research team that would like to use FAH to support your computations ...

There's also a Communication Advisory Board that's in charge of developing new collaborations ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.