Wuhan Corona Virus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

EcipCH

Re: Wuhan Corona Virus

Post by EcipCH »

Would it be possible to get a section on the website dedicated to showing the amount of WU completed for covid-19 research?

Also, good news from Alberta:
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/coro ... ing-stages

I wonder if these guys are aware of our willingness to help in the research?
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH does provide and option to choose a PREFERRED disease. It doesn't give you absolute control over the projects that will be chosen. Other projects will be assigned if there's nothing available that matches the preference or perhaps in response to FAH's scientific priorities.

The objection is that there is no specific choice for COVAID19 or even Virology. In fact, FAH has already set a high priority for projects that match this undetectable preference.
happymambo

Post by happymambo »

So if we're working on Covid projects we should see number between 11741 and 11746 in the work unit? Are these on now?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Yes, but due to the high demand, it is hardly keeping up. So you might sometimes see slow transfers to/from it, or even WUs for other researches that still need to be done.

CPU projects are also on their way.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Denisok
Hardware configuration: Intel Core i7 3770K
Intel Core i5 M480

Post by Denisok »

bruce wrote:FAH has already set a high priority for projects
Good. Keep calm and crunch on.

Crunched couple of new covid19 CPU tasks today. Waiting for new ones.
zexmaxwell

Post by zexmaxwell »

toTOW wrote:Yes, but due to the high demand, it is hardly keeping up. So you might sometimes see slow transfers to/from it, or even WUs for other researches that still need to be done.
Are you saying that there is so many GPUs requesting work, that the servers can't keep up with dishing them out?
1, that is an interesting problem to have.
2, what is needed to beef the servers?
My room is always Hot.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

EcipCH wrote:
Forcinghavok wrote:this virus that will come and go.
and the most ignorant statement of the year goes to..
He isn't entirely wrong. While I dont remember how long Ebola went dormant for after the Kikwit outbreak, i think it was a number of years before the next outbreak in the Congo was identified. This virus may similarly burn out eventually, but more than likely a vaccine will be available within a year or two and it will be included in the yearly flu shots as and when the virus mutates and becomes a threat.

What we really need is for people to stop eating bats and pangolins. If you avoid eating the disease vector, the chances of new infections drops considerably. :/

As for this Covid-19 research via FAH, im sure the results might lead to other discoveries for the other coronaviruses that plague us and the animals that inhabit the planet. Besides maybe leading to better understanding of it.

Its a win win situation. We have nothing to lose by doing the research. New knowledge will be gained whatever the outcome.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I haven't received any of the CPU projects yet, but I know they're out there being folded. Keep on folding everyone!
Denisok
Intel Core i5 M480

Post by Denisok »

zexmaxwell wrote:
toTOW wrote:Yes, but due to the high demand, it is hardly keeping up. So you might sometimes see slow transfers to/from it, or even WUs for other researches that still need to be done.
Are you saying that there is so many GPUs requesting work, that the servers can't keep up with dishing them out?
1, that is an interesting problem to have.
2, what is needed to beef the servers?
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32287#p312057

1. yes
2. https://foldingathome.org/about/donate/ ... t-funding/
Last edited by Denisok on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denisok
Intel Core i5 M480

Post by Denisok »

JonazzDJ wrote:I haven't received any of the CPU projects yet, but I know they're out there being folded. Keep on folding everyone!
Did you activate advanced mode ? Looks like most of CPU projects still in testing and available for advanced clients only.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

No I haven't. But I don't mind folding other projects. I'll get them if needed.
InDebtBigTime

Post by InDebtBigTime »

Any update on Wuhan Virus CPU work units? I don't really want to fold unless its available.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

InDebtBigTime wrote:Any update on Wuhan Virus CPU work units? I don't really want to fold unless its available.
[I am a user just like you and am not a spokesman for F@H]

I can see how Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and many cancers are just not worth your computer's idle time. (or your electricity cost)

Both GPU and CPU COVID-19 WUs are out of Beta. Because, you know, it was too much work to set the Beta flag.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Denisok
Intel Core i5 M480

Post by Denisok »

JimboPalmer wrote:just not worth your computer's idle time. (or your electricity cost)
Do what you think is right and let other people do what they think is right. Any help appreciated.
InDebtBigTime wrote:Any update on Wuhan Virus CPU work units? I don't really want to fold unless its available.
Two CPU projects are up and running. Another two projects are available in advanced mode and will be available generally soon.

Consider to enable Advanced Methods to get covid19 tasks earlier.

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... ion-guide/
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

[I am just a user like you, not a Folding@Home employee]
Denisok wrote:
JimboPalmer wrote:just not worth your computer's idle time. (or your electricity cost)
Do what you think is right and let other people do what they think is right. Any help appreciated.
I think a review of my posts would show that if any help was possible, I offered it. Sometimes that involves 'hard love'.

The folks running Folding@Home (not me!) are scrambling to cure a pandemic, and some primadonnas are making silly demands of their time.

Everyone on Earth is better served if they are allowed to be biochemists instead of babysitters.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends