Dr. Karp - Koyoto prize - Related to FAH?

gwildperson

Dr. Karp - Koyoto prize - Related to FAH?

Post by gwildperson »

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/rele ... rize.shtml

I read a newspaper article that said that the Koyoto prize was given because of Dr. Karp's work which helps to decide how hard it is for software to solve mathematical problems. Does his work apply to the FAH software?

It seems like it might, since one of his fields of study is computational biology and probabilistic methods to finding hidden patterns which sounds a lot like extracting systematic progress toward a folded protein from all the random motions that we see in the PS3 display. I don't have a clue what "NP-completeness" is or any of those other measures of complexity. How complex is the folding problem?

Does any of his results apply to FAH in a useful way? Since mathematicians study things that are more abstract than just one specific poblem, I suppose all we can learn from his work is whether some other problem is more or less difficult than FAH but that might not be all we can learn from his work.
science man

Re: Dr. Karp - Koyoto prize - Related to FAH?

Post by science man »

I don't know specifically how complex a folding problem although I image perrty complex considering long it takes a decent computer processor to get through them. Anyway I do know that his study is incorrect because the software is not what's doing the mathmatical calculations it's the cpu itself. The software just gives the cpu the mathmatical calculations to do like a teacher giving a student math to do. I realize this explaination explains part of my first sentence.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

You've got PM Science Man.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
science man

Post by science man »

and yet I still stand by what I said. You got replied to 7im.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Dr. Karp has many awards, and a 50 plus years of experience in the field. They gave him half a million dollars with that award. They don't give away that kind of money to someone who is "wrong." You are the one that is wrong.

Have you even read the article? :roll:
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.