Mention of Dr. Pande in NY Times

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Mention of Dr. Pande in NY Times

Post by rbpeake »

I was pleasantly surprised to open the Science Times section of the New York Times this morning on my way to work, and see Dr. Pande mentioned as part of an article on a new supercomputer that will do molecular simulations.

FAH is specifically mentioned. Always nice to get the publicity for FAH, so hopefully that will draw in some new folders! :)

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/scien ... odayspaper

One of the advantage of the FAH "supercomputer" of volunteers is that it is continually being upgraded! :)
Beremat
Hardware configuration: Only my piece of crap machines (I don't have any others! :D)
AMD Athlon 3800+
1.5GB RAM
250GB Hard Drive
nVidia 6150LE Onboard...

AND!

Intel P4 3.2Ghz
1.5GB RAM
120GB Hard Drive
nVidia 5600FX.

AMD Turion FX-56X2
2GB RAM
100GB Hard Drive
Nvidia 7000M
Yes, they own hard.

Re: Mention of Dr. Pande in NY Times

Post by Beremat »

Yep, bought a copy a few minutes ago down the street just to see the article on paper :D
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: Mention of Dr. Pande in NY Times

Post by VijayPande »

The reporter I talked to really seemed to know this area, so it was fun to chat with him. However, it's interesting how a 30 minute chat turns into a single quote! The part that I talked about that didn't make it in was about how these two machines take very different approaches, with different pros and cons. The Shaw machine ("Anton") is very impressive on many fronts. However, it's also pretty impressive in the end just how much a single high end GPU can do science-wise compared to their special purpose supercomputer. I expect that FAH's 8,000 GPU's could give that machine a good run for its money :) However, in the end, I've always been a firm believer in cooperation rather than competition, so hopefully we can find some places for collaboration, much like we have done with the IBM Blue Gene team.