Is CUDA "Good Enough"?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Is CUDA "Good Enough"?

Post by rbpeake »

I know testing the science is one of the critical components of the beta test of the new Nvidia GPU2 client that is currently running on my graphics cards.

I of course hope that CUDA will perform as expected and yield useful science. But if it does not, it of course also does not make sense to spend the money on the electricity required to keep the graphics cards crunching, and it would make sense just to focus on the CPU work.

If Dr. Pande would please provide an update as testing progresses regarding how CUDA is performing science-wise, that would be most appreciated! :)

(And it is interesting that the GPU's are a supplement to, and not a replacement for, the CPU work. So running CPU's continues to be very productive! :)
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: Is CUDA "Good Enough"?

Post by VijayPande »

So far, CUDA is looking good. The ATI code has passed all the checks and is in production mode (no more testing -- generating scientific results). The NVIDIA code should hopefully reach that stage in a week or so.
rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Post by rbpeake »

VijayPande wrote:So far, CUDA is looking good. The ATI code has passed all the checks and is in production mode (no more testing -- generating scientific results). The NVIDIA code should hopefully reach that stage in a week or so.
Thank you for the very prompt reply! :)

(You must review these messages as you are brushing your teeth to get ready for work in the morning! ;)
biodoc

Post by biodoc »

VijayPande wrote:So far, CUDA is looking good. The ATI code has passed all the checks and is in production mode (no more testing -- generating scientific results). The NVIDIA code should hopefully reach that stage in a week or so.
Same question but a month later. My nvidia card is now crunching on a couple of new projects that are ww domains (5504 and 5505). Have we moved from validation to production mode?

Cheers and thanks for bringing nvidia into the "fold"! :D
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

yes, it's looking like we're in production mode. I tend to be conservative about declaring that, so I want to get a little more data, but all is looking very good right now.

I'll make some sort of announcement about this, likely later next week. We will be rolling out new "development" cores, to separate new core software tests from production calculations.
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

VijayPande wrote:yes, it's looking like we're in production mode. I tend to be conservative about declaring that, so I want to get a little more data, but all is looking very good right now.

I'll make some sort of announcement about this, likely later next week. We will be rolling out new "development" cores, to separate new core software tests from production calculations.
You just made my day :D