Cancer to eat itself? [Stanford mentioned in article]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Mitsimonsta

Cancer to eat itself? [Stanford mentioned in article]

Post by Mitsimonsta »

NZ Herald wrote:A microscopic cellular assassin, capable of making cancerous kidney cells eat themselves to death, could eventually become a cancer-curing drug, thanks to Auckland University research.

The small molecule, dubbed STF-62247, was discovered by Stanford University researchers, with their findings published in Cancer Cell this month.
Full Story: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10522607

Is this a part of our folding effort? If so, it sounds very promising and I am glad our efforts have helped.
Evil Penguin

Re: Cancer to eat itself? [Stanford mentioned in article]

Post by Evil Penguin »

Oh wow... Score for the Pande group!
Xilikon

Post by Xilikon »

SolidSteel144 wrote:Oh wow... Score for the Pande group!
That's why the thread is made here, to check if it is indeed the Pande Group who participated in that project. Being in the Medical lab doesn't always mean that F@H got involved and we are waiting for someone from the Pande Group to confirm or deny the participation.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

ScienceDirect article: link (If you aren't part of a university or have a personal subscription to ScienceDirect you probably won't be able to view the whole article).

However, the relevant lab at Stanford was the Department of Radiation Oncology.
rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Post by rbpeake »

uncle_fungus wrote:However, the relevant lab at Stanford was the Department of Radiation Oncology.
Stanford is doing all kinds of wonderful work!
Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin »

So I guess they did have something to do with it?
nancybr

Post by nancybr »

I have read in article that research studies may indicate that cancer can be cured through immunotherapy. They have bred mice that are resistant to all cancers, and they transfer their immunity to mice with cancer, by transferring their white blood cells. The mice were cured completely and lived normal lives. I don’t believe that. I want to know your authentic comment on this.
delanvital

Post by delanvital »

I'd like a clarification - is the folding contribution part of this or not? To the best of my knowledge that is a no?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Pande Group doesn't appear to be involved, but it's not completely out of the question. There is always a lot of cross polination of ideas and information in a university environment. People build on and around other peoples ideas and work.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.