Binding of chaperone receptor to lysosome - anti-aging?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

susato
Site Moderator

Binding of chaperone receptor to lysosome - anti-aging?

Post by susato »

Looks like a job for F@H! The lysosome is a membrane; the receptor is a protein.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... %20protein
alancabler

Re: Binding of chaperone receptor to lysosome - anti-aging?

Post by alancabler »

Some of the research published by F@h may have already helped those researchers' efforts, who knows...
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
cbuchner1

Post by cbuchner1 »

I doubt it. Folding@Home is doing some very basic research, essentially trying to figure out how a protein folds and with what likelyhood the protein switch fromes one configuration to another. That's very basic research at this point, and it's done on a small selection of relatively simple and special proteins that are known to fold quickly. This is what I was able to gather from the papers on the science page.

So everyone who's thinking this research will directly lead to a cure for cancer or development of new medicine: Reality Check!

Christian
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

cbuchner1 wrote:I doubt it. Folding@Home is doing some very basic research, essentially trying to figure out how a protein folds and with what likelyhood the protein switch fromes one configuration to another. That's very basic research at this point, and it's done on a small selection of relatively simple and special proteins that are known to fold quickly. This is what I was able to gather from the papers on the science page.

So everyone who's thinking this research will directly lead to a cure for cancer or development of new medicine: Reality Check!

Christian
You're sounding so negative, I'm sure you can point to protein folding simulation projects which handle more complex one's then f@h?

No one here is under that impression, everyone who looked into it knows where laying the foundation for future research. Understanding is the key though, you can randomly try to come up with medication to help stop a desease, or you can find ways to understand and prevent a desease or erredicate it when it does happen.

The reality is, I lost familly to cancer, and in my opinion, this is the fastest route to help prevent others from the losses I endured. Untill you can tell me about a quicker way and back that up with facts, I'll continue to think so.