Scripps Research Institute Discovery and FAH

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Mikethefox

Scripps Research Institute Discovery and FAH

Post by Mikethefox »

I just saw this article on Physorg and was wondering if it would change the FAH program. The article titled "New technique is quantum leap forward in understanding proteins" can be seen using the link below:
In this ongoing quest, a group of Scripps Research Institute scientists, along with colleagues from the University of California, San Diego, (UCSD) have borrowed from physics to deliver one of those research rarities -- an unmitigated success. The group has devised a computational method that, with remarkable accuracy, predicts how bacterial proteins fold and interact.
Looks like I can't post a link since I just registered. You can find the full article on Physorg.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Scripps Research Institute Discovery and FAH

Post by 7im »

http://www.physorg.com/news149276015.html

The last paragraph is the answer to your question if this will impact fah or not. Likely not anytime soon, IMO. Looks like their still playing with bugs, while fah is working with those so called animals, i.e. human proteins right now. ;)
The message-passing technique is dependant on the availability of extensive genomic data, and some 800 or so bacterial genomes have been fully sequenced. But applying message passing to animals will have to wait until a similar volume of genomic data is available for them. Ultimately, some form of the technique could identify important protein interactions in humans, which would open a wealth of new drug targeting possibilities.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.