Animal testing?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChopSticks

Animal testing?

Post by ChopSticks »

Hi im interested in using the F@H software but would like to know something first:

Is the folding@home project involved with animal testing in any way?

Thanks.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Animal testing?

Post by P5-133XL »

Well, my patience is some times tested by folding, and I'm a human animal.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

PETC(people for the ethical treatment of computers) disclaimer:
No silicon based life forms were harmed in the shocking simulations you are about to see.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
Tobit

Post by Tobit »

I sacrifice chickens to my voodoo god in an attempt to get more PpD out of my machines.
DjSoulshot

Post by DjSoulshot »

ChopSticks wrote:Hi im interested in using the F@H software but would like to know something first:

Thanks.
Not for now, but the cures that might be developed using our results will probably be tested on animals?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Not for now? Try not ever! F@H only does the research. Some other company would be doing the validation.

But the more accurate of a simulation F@H can produce, the less trial and error needs to be done on the lab rats down the road. So you might say F@H helps to reduce animal testing. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
ChopSticks

Post by ChopSticks »

7im wrote:Not for now? Try not ever! F@H only does the research. Some other company would be doing the validation.

But the more accurate of a simulation F@H can produce, the less trial and error needs to be done on the lab rats down the road. So you might say F@H helps to reduce animal testing. ;)
well this is what i was hoping. it'd be nice to think that contributing to the project was reducing animal testing rather than creating more experiments. I cant actually find a way of contacting anyone about this. Does anyone know where i can find contact details for the folding@home team? Thanks.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

...Does anyone know where i can find contact details for the folding@home team? Thanks.
You might try tickling the "Home" link, located at the top of this page.
Alternately, you might try your google button and "Vijay Pande".
Either will surely reward you with an email address.
Cajun_Don

Post by Cajun_Don »

ChopSticks wrote:Hi im interested in using the F@H software but would like to know something first:

Thanks.
Folding@home uses computer simulations of protein folding or misfolding, and it does not use any animals or humans for testings.

You can contact the head of Folding@home Project, Dr Pande by PM at ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=11, for more information about your question.

Have a great day.
CygnusXI

Post by CygnusXI »

This is one of the great, unappreciated things about F@H. Everything is done via computer (aka in-silico) using accurate simulations of protein behavior. No need to randomly inject a lab animals with a needle full of compound XYZ. One of the more common ways F@H presents its usefulness is the reduction in physical lab testing, thanks to the research being done on computers. I only stopped to respond to this old post in a very busy month (starting a consulting job with a cloud company as a Linux support analyst :eugeek: ). This is something I've started highlighting to people when explaining the benefits of FAH participation, and the reasons they should fold - "save the cute little critters"!