Problem uploading to 129.74.246.143

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RABishop

Re: Problem uploading to 129.74.246.143

Post by RABishop »

Gee whiz. They got some seriously pseudoscientific balls there at Stanford. They just censored me again. I'll be leaving. I had a goal in mind, thinking them to be pure. Hahahahaha.
RABishop

Post by RABishop »

I'll try this ONE more time. If you DON'T like a job assignment you can delete the slot with the offensive job in it. Then you can add it again, without that job still attached to that processor. I'm trying to figure out if Stanford doesn't like my telling people how to do something it took my 8 days to find out, kind of by accident, deducing from what another forum member said, that deleting the slot could clear up a total CLOG that lasted for 8 days, with no help from Stanford, or if they don't like the fact that I said a friend of mine mentioned this project is, in many ways, about eugenics.

Mod edit: Edited for language
knuffi1964

Post by knuffi1964 »

I have a work unit that has been trying to upload for a couple of days. I am technologically challenged so the only thing I thought to try to fix the problem was to reboot my computer which I did to no effect. I am under the impression that the problem is not at my end but at the receiving end not accepting my transmission. So is this problem being looked at and/or fixed?

Thanks,
Karen Miller
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Post by billford »

AJMSmith wrote:In all fairness it should be noted that Notre Dame is in California and as such is operating in a timezone that's 8 hours behind GMT.
I've been assuming it's the one in Indiana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Notre_Dame (UTC-5 I think)

Wrongly? I didn't realise there was one in California :oops:
RABishop

Post by RABishop »

Gee, maybe it was just a coincidence that I lost two serious posts. They both had stuff about a friend mentioning that this project has implications for "eugenics." There are "barnyard" eugenics that have to do with selective breeding; but there are Nazi eugenics that have to do with crazy social and political morals and rhetoric. That makes the word "eugenics" very loaded. My friend pointed out to me the "barnyard" stuff that doesn't worry him; and that doesn't worry me either. But HE used the word. I pointed out the more social and political aspects of it that made me uncomfortable, and he pointed to the barnyard. I don't like where American Capitalism is going. If you look at Adam Smith's writings, capitalism was supposed to be closely monitored and regulated by the crown. to stop any of the sorts of abuses that all the clergy were railing against what they thought might happen.

I'm not religious, but I know a cheat when I see it/him/her/them. Morality isn't hard at all: if you wouldn't like it done to you, don't do it to someone else. Capitalism, at it's worst, tries to tell you that simple thing is for sale to the highest bidder. That makes morality into a commodity. As soon as you buy into that the fabric of society and civilization begins to collapse. Taxes have never been wonderful; they're merely the expensive price of civilization, wherein those who benefit most pay a higher premium for the ease of it all. Capitalism seems to CRAVE equality. Flat tax. Yeah!!! I make a billion a year, you make 10k, we're equals, so we both pay 15%. Perfect. Capitalism, which was always meant to be closely monitored and regulated tries to convince you that if YOU won't sell your morals, YOU'RE a fool.

I don't worry about that. I know who I am. But, after my friend pointed out the "eugenics" aspect of this project to me, I do worry that as the wealthy get more and more money, they keep trying to buy everything. They starve normal, good, pro-human things of government money that always came to them before, then they offer "to help." MF's. Anyhow, I know this has NOTHING at all to do with server 129.***. But I'd hate to think I'm just doing free work for A-holes that would like me to work for nearly nothing, anyway. We'll see if this posts. I copied it, so I can try many times, so as to eliminate the probability that twice in an hour I posted things that might be seen as "inflammatory." "I fall to pieces, each time I hear your name. I fall to pieces, time only strengthens the flame." Hell, this isn't about "points," it's about whether or not we believe we're helping other people, pure and simple. I hope that's what I'm doing, but there are A-holes, circling out there, that give me pause.
RABishop

Post by RABishop »

Ok, I'll keep processing, for now.
goodyca

Post by goodyca »

billford wrote:
AJMSmith wrote:In all fairness it should be noted that Notre Dame is in California and as such is operating in a timezone that's 8 hours behind GMT.
I've been assuming it's the one in Indiana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Notre_Dame (UTC-5 I think)

This server is in fact located at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

goodyca wrote: This server is in fact located at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.
Thank you :)

Sheer fluke I'd heard of the right one :wink:
AJMSmith

Post by AJMSmith »

goodyca wrote:
billford wrote:

This server is in fact located at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.
I was basing my comment on http://iplocationtools.com/129.74.246.143.html which place it in Anaheim, CA ... which may be wrong ...
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

AJMSmith wrote: ... which may be wrong ...
Those IP location sites often are… if I put my IP in it says United Kingdom (correct), from a pool (correct), gets my ISP right but says they're in Harrogate. Not even close :(
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

RABishop wrote:Phht!! Something tells me the failure to post wasn't an accident. I don't want to be here or say anything anyway. But I spent about 45 minutes, mentioning a criticism (which my friend didn't even thing of as a criticism, but directly saying this IS a eugenics project) hit "Submit" and it's gone into the ether. What a co-inky-dink.
Your connection/login to the forum timed out, I checked the moderator logs and your post was not deleted by any of the moderators or admins. This happens, I have had posts that I have made not submit for the same reason. So, yes this was just a coincidence due to the length of time taken by you writing your post and not due to any forum action.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
DrBB1

Post by DrBB1 »

I wouldn't normally want a folding site to use resources to post regular updates on the status of a server; however, given the number of posts to this thread and the length of time the upload issue has existed, it would be helpful to get at least one current update here or in the F@H Blog with a conservative estimate on when to expect the issue to be resolved (or that resolution time is unknown).

In the meantime, I suggest those like me who are waiting for the fix to simply check the server status using the "Server Status" link at the top of this page. :wink:
Last edited by DrBB1 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
========
DrBB1
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

RABishop wrote:...after my friend pointed out the "eugenics" aspect of this project...
I've been folding for 10+ years. Maybe you could point out that aspect of the this project that I and many others have failed to notice?! But leave the social and political commentary out. It's considered off topic here.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

DrBB1 wrote: In the meantime, I suggest those like me who are waiting for the fix to simply check the server status using the "Server Status" link at the top of this page. :wink:
Sound advice if it was working properly- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27054#p271527

:(
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

Okay, so we're now at 96 hours, four whole days, since I reported this problem. Please could we have a meaningful update on it. I still have three lingering completed WUs with dwindling bonus points.....