Uploads Timing Out/Error

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Uploads Timing Out/Error

Post by bruce »

mmonnin wrote:if you are thinking (as i am) of sending the results in two or four sections,
i think it would be good, but the division and re-assembly may be a can of worms...
if the division/re-assembly is not difficult, it would solve the problem...

raising the time-out limit AND sending the results one-at-a-time should also solve the problem...
This is not the first time we've seen this issue and now that it has been reported, it'll get fixed for future WUs. The Division/reassembly option will not be developed. There's already 3 possible solutions.
1) Revise the WU to generate less essential data.
2) Change the server's timeout from 15 to 30 (or whatever)
3) Make the Project opt-in so you don't get assigned things you can't return.

The fix, whenever it arrives, will apply only to new WUs. I'm afraid you're never going to be able to upload those results over that connection.

(My DSL is significantly faster.)
KWSN_Sir_Frank

Post by KWSN_Sir_Frank »

hello bruce

thanks for the solution-in-progress...looking forward to it...

in the mean time, i can carry my machines over to a friend's business and upload there...(they have fiber)...

frank
bruce

Post by bruce »

That's sure better than not returning them.

What data rate could you get if you connected through a mobile phone (and what would it cost you)?
KWSN_Sir_Frank

Post by KWSN_Sir_Frank »

hello bruce

uploading through a wireless device sounds like it would be fast enough, but the one i have is apparently not real easy to tether to a PC using a patch cable...

today i "borrowed" a fiber connection, and aprox 84 meg in 3 results files uploaded in less than 7 minutes...impressive (to me at least)...

at least downloads on the DSL line are quick enough...needless to say, i am now in the market for a faster connection...

thanks for your continued help...

frank