Cant upload the WU in the time allowed.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Cant upload the WU in the time allowed.

Post by toTOW »

Did you try to reboot your modem/router and your machine ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You apparently have several machines, and only one of them is giving troubles. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

1) Run a network diagnostic that reports lost packets or packets that had to be retried due to a network error.

2) Replace the network cable and, if possible, the ethernet board in that machine. and plug it into a different router port.
Nick200

Post by Nick200 »

Hi

WUs are not late and if they clog things up by constantly trying - and failing - to upload I will delete them myself when they get close to expiry.

I get a WU to up load every once in a while but the connection error is still there.

I don't think the problem is at my end, or related to the amount of water between me and the USA servers. We have two Pacific cables and traffic uses either.

My ISP has not set any restrictions - and I don't think I get a lot of IP packet errors, and I certainly don't get many errors. I will try out some network loading software to see if there is some problems within NZ - but I really think this is a server-side problem.

The most affected collection server is 128.252.203.2, and the most affected work server is 140.163.4.245. Neither will raise a webpage now.

I am getting frustrated though because every weekend recently has been fraught with either up load or download errors.

I second your desire for the ability too suspend uploads to particular servers when there is a general error like this, pending some alert to let us know when it is safe to resume.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

If it were a server-side problem, isn't it likely that more users would be reporting problems? I know it's hard to accept, but if only one user is reporting a problem, it is likely that something unique to that user causes the issue. Which usually means either client-side, or between user and ISP. (I may be wrong.)

Have you tried rebooting as toTOW suggested? I have known that to clear strange problems in the past, Not very satisfying, because it probably doesn't show what was wrong. But effective.
Nick200

Post by Nick200 »

I have four machines. None of them have any networking problems and can access all other web resources. I have run the networking troubleshooters just in case but they report no problems.

I have rebooted all the PCs and have even reverted from the latest Win 10 build back to Build 14291. I have re-installed FAH a number of times to see if that could solve things.

But nothing I do from my end solves it. The WUs in the send queue still pile up, either for 140.163.4.241 or 128.252.203.2 as the collection servers.

When I try to access the hyperlink for these servers from the r/h pane for the WU details, I get server not found messages.

So, as everything else works and the FAH server webpages are not accessible, I suspect some issue beyond my control.
Nick200

Post by Nick200 »

A question: if I have repeated problems with a work server or collection server, would blocking those servers at my firewall stop the problems from happening in the first place?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Nick200 wrote:A question: if I have repeated problems with a work server or collection server, would blocking those servers at my firewall stop the problems from happening in the first place?
No. You seem to have problems with two servers that are not on the West Coast of the USA, and in two different locations. So far you are the only one from your region reporting problems. I suspect as others have that your problem is not either the specific servers, but elsewhere. You would probably have issues with returning other large result files to different servers.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Nick200 wrote:The WUs in the send queue still pile up, either for 140.163.4.241 or 128.252.203.2 as the collection servers.
I don't think you understand about Collection Servers. They're never required. They're a redundancy which only comes into play [u[after[/u] there's a problem with the Work Server.

Every WU must be returned to the Work Server that issued it. If, for some reason, a WU does not upload directly to the Work Server (and if there happens to be a CS), then the WU may be redirected to the CS which will then forward it to the WS. There may not even be a CS.

It would be a lot easier to figure out what's going on if you completely ignored the CSs and reported what problems you're having with the WSs.

You didn't answer my other question. How many of your four servers are having problems uploading to WSs and which WSs are we talking about?
Nick200

Post by Nick200 »

Bruce
Thanks, but as I stated earlier all four of my PCs have this problem. They are not servers, though - just connected using peer-to-peer networking via the same router. Which has also been power-cycled, just in case - but with no effect.

The WSs involved are 171.67.108.159 for two WUs (PC1), 128.252.203.2 (PC2), 140.163.4.24 (6WUs), 171.67.108.155, 171.64.65.104, 140.163.4.245, 128.252.203.2, 171.67.108.158, 128.252.203.2 (PC3) and 171.67.108.144 (PC4).

I have jettisoned about 15 WUs through clean re-installing FAH on two machines, after first trying a re-install that preserved the data. That didn't work either.

Glad to hear there is no need for a collection sever - some work servers that actually work would be good ...

The problem I have with each PC is identical - they complete a WU often well within time, then it sits in the queue while the PCs try to send them and their credit value slowly erodes. If this continues I will have to stop contributing because as far as I can see the effort is just being wasted.
bruce

Post by bruce »

P2P?

So you're saying that instead of two WUs uploading concurrently which the logs show, you might have 8 WUs uploading concurrently and your P2P network might be sharing a number of files with peers, too? FAH's networking does not work well in conjunction with P2P file sharing.

Have you disabled P2P files sharing entirely and started FAH uploads on a single PC? If that works, add a second PC (4 WUs concurrently) and so forth.
Nick200

Post by Nick200 »

Yes, P2P - in the same configuration that we have used for some 6 years - and we have been folding for about 5 years, from memory.

The local network just houses personal files - school work, photos etc - and that traffic is pretty low. There is Netflix going on, but that works fine and does not seem to conflict.

As I have said before, I have plenty of bandwidth, unlimited in fact - and pretty good speeds. I have never had a problem sharing files with FAH in the background, before. FAH should only need access and bandwidth when downloading and uploading - and then fairly small files considering - the rest of the time it is beavering away on a WU.

Are you really saying that it is best to treat each PC with FAH as free-standing - and ideally each should have its own direct access to the internet rather than going through a router? Is this mentioned in the guides anywhere as it is the first I have heard of it.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Nick200 wrote:Are you really saying that it is best to treat each PC with FAH as free-standing - and ideally each should have its own direct access to the internet rather than going through a router? Is this mentioned in the guides anywhere as it is the first I have heard of it.
"peer to peer" networking is probably not what you are using -- it implies direct connections between the PCs without a connection to the router for each one (It is not the same as P2P filesharing across the internet). Connecting several PCs to a router (each with its own wire, or on WiFi) is fine. But your bandwidth is not "unlimited" -- there may not be any artificial caps, but the hardware connection will have a limit. If you are using the same internet connection for other heavy traffic (P2P filesharing, Netflix) uploads may suffer. It sounds as though something (probably out of your control) has changed and reduced the capacity of your upload link. Either a neighbour has signed up for the same broadband service so your traffic now shares a link on the telecom network, or a software upgrade somewhere has had an unpleasant consequence for your systems. Have you checked the actual uplink throughput to a test site?

As has been said earlier, once WUs stack up for return, it is difficult to clear the backlog, since they compete with each other. You may have no option but to delete the oldest WUs. But if you can suspend Netflix and other traffic for a while, there is a chance that F@H will sort itself out.
bruce

Post by bruce »

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm just looking for something that will work for you and so far, nothing has. ... so my question is, will a dedicated connection still have problems? If not, gradually add whatever is sharing the network until you can tell that you've added something that causes problems. You can connect one machine to your modem and the next step would be to connect one through your router.

The fact that your connection is aborted at arbitrary times unrelated to the server's timeout setting means that my first guess was wrong.

I have 5 machines connected to my router and I have no networking troubles. I do not do P2P filesharing, but those who do have reported conflicts.

Please post the results of network diagnostics to a reliable server in NYC.
_r2w_ben

Post by _r2w_ben »

Have you looked into bufferbloat as a potential cause of the slow uploads? This is the speedtest referred to in the FAQ.

Router QOS settings and limiting upload to 80-90% of your connection's maximum may help.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Also turn off the Windows 10 update Torrents. By default, win 10 shares its Windows upates with all other win 10 computers in the world, including all of yours unless you manually disable it.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.