YASO? (Yet Another Stat's Outage?)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

drougnor

YASO? (Yet Another Stat's Outage?)

Post by drougnor »

So, my stats system hasn't been able to pick up a flat file with a new timestamp for the last 2 hours, and it looks like EOC's system is running into the same. Can someone ask the PG to go kick the appropriate services back into shape?

Thanks!

d
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: YASO? (Yet Another Stat's Outage?)

Post by Joe_H »

Already reported, some other services from that server stopped working about that time.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
cxh
Pande Group Member

Post by cxh »

Correct. fah-web.stanford.edu is down. Thanks for the report!
bcavnaugh

Post by bcavnaugh »

Any news or updates when this might be corrected?
drougnor

Post by drougnor »

Heh - We were just wrapping up a points based contest over at EVGA, so the timing of this was pretty horrid.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

An update will be posted when this issue is corrected. Please see > viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29366
ArticBlast

Post by ArticBlast »

Ok thanks!
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

I realise it's one of those things where you don't really want to take people away from fixing the problem but, after eighteen hours of outage, I'm sure some sort of update or explanation would be appreciated by all of us.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

snapshot wrote:I realize it's one of those things where you don't really want to take people away from fixing the problem but, after eighteen hours of outage, I'm sure some sort of update or explanation would be appreciated by all of us.
https://folding.stanford.edu/home/stats ... mporarily/

Not so much taking people away, but waiting for other people (IT) to fix it and then get back to Pande Group, and PG to get back to us. Like the blog post says, it's fixed when it's fixed. Blow by blow updates would not make any difference to the science of the project.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

7im wrote:Blow by blow updates would not make any difference to the science of the project.
And the Pande Group may not BE getting updates, one hopes they are letting the IT staff at Stanford do their job and not distracting them.
(For myself, after about 12 hours of overtime, I tended to get testy. People got hung up on.)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Kent Irwin

Post by Kent Irwin »

"It's fixed when it's fixed." Just the kind of answer I've come to expect.
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

Look, I'm a retired server farmer so I know what it's like. I also understand the necessity for PR which is something the Pande group, etc. still isn't good at and I've been folding for almost ten years. No-one expects blow-by-blow updates but just a few words to let us know what the problem actually is would go a long way to smoothing the irritation that's generated here whenever there's a prolonged outage and no response from Stanford.

I'm off to bed now so I hoped it's fixed by the time I get up tomorrow.
montemac
Hardware configuration: Dell XPS 13 9350, Signature Ultrabook, I7-6500U, 2.5 Ghz, Win 10 Home
Toshiba PORTEGE Z935-ST4N03 Ultrabook, I5-3370U, 1.8 Ghz, Win 8.1
EMachine ET1331 desktop, Ath. II X2 215, 2.7 Ghz, Win 7 Home Prem.
Lenovo Thinkpad, Int. 2Duo CPU, P8600, 2.4 Ghz, Vista Home Prem.

Post by montemac »

This is off-topic, but I looked up "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn" and found that this was a quote by Benjamin Franklin. An earlier source is derived from a Confucian Scholar, Xun Kuang, who wrote "Not having heard something is not as good as having heard it; having heard it is not as good as having seen it; having seen it is not as good as knowing it; knowing it is not as good as putting it into practice."

Source: https://www.quora.com/Where-and-when-di ... nd-I-learn

"Xun Kuang was a Chinese Confucian philosopher that lived from 312-230 BC. His works were collected into a set of 32 books called the Xunzi, by Liu Xiang in about 818 AD. There are woodblock copies of these books that are almost 1100 years old.
Folding on 4 pc's
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

snapshot wrote:snip... I also understand the necessity for PR which is something the Pande group, etc. still isn't good at and I've been folding for almost ten years. No-one expects blow-by-blow updates but just a few words to let us know what the problem actually is would go a long way to smoothing the irritation that's generated here whenever there's a prolonged outage and no response from Stanford.
Agreed on all points. After 10 years, we both know that their minimal PR won't increase unless they should happen to get a lot more science funding, and after the currently election results, I don't see that happening any time soon. :cry:
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

The forums here are focused on members providing support for one other as we fold. Suggestions, complaints, kudos, etc. for Pande Group really belong on the reddit account. -> viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27172

This topic has served its purpose. The reason for the stats outage has been explained and Pande Group has announced they will let us know when the problem is resolved. As in the past, it is highly unlikely anyone will have lost credits. We should see them once the problem has had time to resolve.