Empty work server assignment

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

BillGallagher
Hardware configuration: AMD Threader Ripper 24 cores RTX 3090 Graphic Card

Empty work server assignment

Post by BillGallagher »

The GPU connect fine to the server, but the CPU has a error code

13:32:42:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.45:8080': Empty work server assignment

7:32:42:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.67.108.45:8080
07:32:42:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.45:8080': Empty work server assignment
07:32:42:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.64.65.35:80
07:32:42:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.64.65.35:80': Empty work server assignment

Thanks

Bill Gallagher
ComputerGenie

Re: Server not connected

Post by ComputerGenie »

This can't be true, because it's been "fixed" and I'm supposedly the only one with issues with any 171.67.108.xx servers. :roll:
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

ComputerGenie wrote:This can't be true, because it's been "fixed" and I'm supposedly the only one with issues with any 171.67.108.xx servers. :roll:
This has nothing to do with the issues with the WS's in that range that were fixed a week ago. Both servers shown in Bill's section of log are Assignment Servers, and they are not matching up the CPU configuration with a WS with suitable projects for the configuration requesting a CPU job.

Back to the actual problem, Bill is probably using the 7.4.4 version of the client and has a quad-core i7. With a GPU slot it will default to requesting CPU:7 WU's at the Full setting, which are no longer being supplied. The "Empty work server" message is referring to the lack of any WS having WU's that meet the request.

There are several solutions to this. First just move the slider to Medium after pausing the CPU slot instead of Full, and that will change the request to CPU:6. Or that can be set for the CPU slot using Configure.

The final option is moving the the public beta version, 7.4.16. That has updated code to have the client negotiate with the AS for the highest available CPU count up to the requested amount.

The other possibility is that the GPU is running on a system with a dual-core CPU. At times there are a limited number of projects that will assign to CPU:1 requests.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

ComputerGenie wrote:This can't be true, because it's been "fixed" and I'm supposedly the only one with issues with any 171.67.108.xx servers.
As we get adequate information from folks, we can often solve their actual problem. Often the process of obtaining information is the slow part.

Joe_H has made very good guesses, but they are only guesses as we have not seen Mr Gallagher's configuration, so we do not know the number of CPUs, the number of GPUs, the OS, the client version, etc. that would allow an accurate diagnosis.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Last edited by JimboPalmer on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

Joe_H wrote:This has nothing to do with the issues with the WS's in that range that were fixed a week ago. Both servers shown in Bill's section of log are Assignment Servers, and they are not matching up the CPU configuration with a WS with suitable projects for the configuration requesting a CPU job...
I'm pretty damn sure that the thread my post got merged with (where I was repeatedly told was "fixed" and I was the only one having an issue) was titled "WU's Not Being Assigned by 171.67.108...". But sure, let's just go with your "it's Genie and not 3+ different threads needing to be started about issues with the 171.67.108.xx servers giving out valid work" theory... :roll:
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

No, it was titled with two specific WS's, and a '?' mark as someone posted that possibly another server was involved. The problem reported there was fixed, you still have not posted any specific and sufficient details to show a continuing or different problem as requested. You can post them there, if they do show a different problem they will become a different topic. In the meantime, your attempt to hijack this persons problem has been noted.

The fact that others are not reporting a continuing problem should be taken by you as a hint that whatever you are seeing is either different, or specific to your system and/or its internet connection.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

Joe_H wrote:...The fact that others are not reporting a continuing problem should be taken by you as a hint that whatever you are seeing is either different, or specific to your system and/or its internet connection.
True, it's highly likely that a Windows 10 system, a Windows 7 system, and a Debian system all suffer from the same "specific" issue (but only with 171.67.108.xx servers) or that the internet connection which flawlessly runs 13 cryptocurrency nodes, 3 servers, a mining farm, and a no less than 2 dozen other devices (not counting the Windows 10 system, the Windows 7 system, and the Debian system that all suffer from the same "specific" issue) only has a "specific" issue with 171.67.108.xx servers that is sporadic and leaves no log trace of such an issue. :roll:
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

You can resist giving the information as long as you want. We can't help until you do. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

JimboPalmer wrote:You can resist giving the information as long as you want. We can't help until you do. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Not sure how many times I need to post the same words before someone actually reads them:

Here's 100% of the relevant information in the log (timestamps and slot info removed because it happened 60+ times to more than 1 slot on more than 1 system):

Code: Select all

Assigned to work server 171.67.108.102
Downloading [x] MiB
x = whatever size at that particular time
The log shows no more about that slot or that WS after that.
ComputerGenie wrote:
Joe_H wrote:...That will need to include current systems....
Would that be the Debian system, the Win 10 system, or the Win 7 system?
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Yes.
If you want help, you have to give us clues. Without information, we just can't help wisely.
Tsar of all the Rushers
BillGallagher
Hardware configuration: AMD Threader Ripper 24 cores RTX 3090 Graphic Card

Re: Empty work server assignment

Post by BillGallagher »

I did what joe_h suggested. Stop folding, set slider to moderate, start folding......then in a short time CPU connected and grinding away. Joe_h has excellent analytical skills. I run folding 24/7 and noticed the CPU was not connecting..stay that way a couple days. Yep, win 10 quard-core i7 7.4.4 is sufficient iinfo to solve the problem.
bruce

Re: Empty work server assignment

Post by bruce »

ComputerGenie wrote:I'm pretty damn sure that the thread my post got merged with (where I was repeatedly told was "fixed" and I was the only one having an issue) was titled "WU's Not Being Assigned by 171.67.108...". But sure, let's just go with your "it's Genie and not 3+ different threads needing to be started about issues with the 171.67.108.xx servers giving out valid work" theory... :roll:
All downloads start with your Client contacting an Assignment Server which subsequently assigns to a Work server.

Both assign.stanford.edu and assign-gpu.stanford.edu are on 171.67.108.45 and that misleads many people ... it shows up in every download attempt, but that's not representative of the problem. The actual download then comes from the assigned WS and that's what really counts.