Folding Server

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Strongwolf

Folding Server

Post by Strongwolf »

I'm in the process of creating a server on a pc. I have 6 other pc,s that I like to link to the server. I have no experience with servers. Is all new for me. The question is; Is there any advantage to fold with the linked pc's or do I keep folding with the pc's as individual system?
JimboPalmer

Re: Folding Server

Post by JimboPalmer »

Individual systems
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Communication between systems over networks such as ethernet are too slow for synchronizing computations on a WU. So folding does not use them, and is not configurable to do so.

However you can set up networking connections between folding clients running on different systems so that you can monitor and control them from just one. That can be convenient if some are in another room or run headless.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Strongwolf

Post by Strongwolf »

Thanks for the replies, they where very helpfull.
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

Strongwolf, here are some suggestions for you, to monitor and control all Folding computers from a central point:
- HFM.net to monitor Folding on all boxes simultaneously, in one user-friendly window (install on the computer that will be the monitoring station)
- TeamViewer (free) version to control the remote computers (use IP-only connections for better security) (install on all systems)

There are other configurations and/or software that works as well. I've been using these two software applications for years now on Linux and Windows. They are free, simple to install, and highly reliable. Neither of them are resource intensive.