List of servers requiring connectivity

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ShmuelLevine

List of servers requiring connectivity

Post by ShmuelLevine »

Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to get a list of servers (either IP addresses or FQDNs) which are used for communications. My machines are behind a captive portal so without explicitly enabling communications with particular servers, I will be unable to download new work, etc. I have seen elsewhere on these forums that typically communications with the work servers is via ports 80 and 8080, which precludes using any port-based rules (at least not for port 80).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It is less than practical for me to manually log in my machines regularly just to ensure that they do not sit idle while waiting for a captive portal login...

Thanks and regards,
Shmuel
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: List of servers requiring connectivity

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

The closest to a list is the IP addresses shown on the Server Status page, a link to that is at the top of the forum. That is for Work Servers and Collection Servers only, and is slightly out of date. A few newer servers are in use, there is an update to the Server Status page that is being worked on that will include them.

There currently are two Assignment Servers, the IP addresses will show up in your log. The FQDNs are of the form assign.stanford.edu or assign-gpu.stanford.edu. A DNS lookup will redirect to whatever AS is designated in case the IP numbers change.

Because of the number of addresses involved and that they might change, allowing connections to the ranges of IP numbers shown on the Server Status page would probably be a better approach.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3