Entire GPU WU system down

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Hypocritus

Entire GPU WU system down

Post by Hypocritus »

I would really like to know why the entire Folding At Home GPU WU system is down. Beta, Advanced, Normal, you name it.

I know that these topics are not popular with the Site Moderators, but do we really want people leaving because, not only were they censored, they couldn't do anything for the project?
soa_rru

Re: Entire GPU WU system down

Post by soa_rru »

I've turned my folding rigs OFF, no skin off my nose, if they can't sort their sh** out then i'll use my cards just for gaming
Hypocritus

Post by Hypocritus »

I really believe that if the Project will ask for donations, especially in times like these, we will get a favorable response.

I don't think that all of us here are depending on Stanford to entirely fund the redundancy needed for this project to be up 99.999% of the time.
Kuno

Post by Kuno »

Until Stanford starts paying someone to monitor the servers 24-7, weekends suck when the servers go down. Sadly this is a volunteer only project, and when things go south, there is nothing we donors can do except WAIT. Your attitude about this doesn't really help. I take it you're probably a miner? Making bank with cure and folding coin? Wait a few hours and when someone comes in to work the servers will be rebooted and things will be back to normal. It's par for the course.
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's true that we can't "do anything for the project" and we do NOT censor posts which unless they're pure emotion ... devoid of logic.

See my recent post in Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.45:80': Empty work and numerous posts from Joe_H about notifiying those who CAN do something about it.
Hypocritus

Post by Hypocritus »

Kuno wrote:Until Stanford starts paying someone to monitor the servers 24-7, weekends suck when the servers go down. Sadly this is a volunteer only project, and when things go south, there is nothing we donors can do except WAIT. Your attitude about this doesn't really help. I take it you're probably a miner? Making bank with cure and folding coin? Wait a few hours and when someone comes in to work the servers will be rebooted and things will be back to normal. It's par for the course.
There exist people with the talent and resources to create this "impossible situation" you are addressing without having to pay them. I find it interesting that you begin by emphasizing that these times "suck", "Sadly...", but then tell me that my attitude is not helping, accusing this 8+ year-old veteran, "I take it you're probably a miner? Making bank with cure and folding coin?" I'm sorry Mr. Holy, I didn't mean to be misunderstood. That happened on your part. Did you entirely miss the fact that I am offering a solution which is not impractical?

Redundancy is the most practical way of not having to "pay someone to monitor the servers 24-7". I have 20 years in the "server industry" and have at least a little experience with these systems.

What if these loathed "miner's" who happen to be driving the majority of the work had bank enough to secure the system by donating or contributing to the system's redundancy? This needs to happen for a professional project sponsored by, in some fields, the #1 Acadenic Institution in the United States - Stanford University. Curse the miners? I believe that to be short-sited. I do not understand cursing the miners and abhorring help offered outside of the professional institution of Stanford. Do you really think that its funding magically appears, and that nobody outside of the blessed group can do a thing about it??
bruce

Post by bruce »

Come on, guys and gals. Calling each other names doesn't help anybody. Aa a Mod, I will edit or censor unhelpfully harsh language.

The owners of the servers have been notified and they're doing what they can to restore everything to service.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Yes, mostly, miners are complaining ... I guess they forget that we're doing science here, not business ... :D

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Hypocritus

Post by Hypocritus »

toTOW wrote:Yes, mostly, miners are complaining ... I guess they forget that we're doing science here, not business ... :D
It is called passion. I joined this project 9 years ago because I had a passion for it. How cool was it that my video gaming hardware could be used for something that was actually useful?? TOO COOL!!!!!!!! :P
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

toTOW wrote:Yes, mostly, miners are complaining ... I guess they forget that we're doing science here, not business ... :D
Except that today we're doing less science.

Actually, it's actually on days like this with disruption at Stanford that the savvy folders/miners make more profit (total pool production goes down 50%, yet by actively managing my clients I've only dropped 25% - My earnings go up 50% !)
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

Can someone tell me what the current total PPD for the project is?

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

SteveWillis wrote:Can someone tell me what the current total PPD for the project is?
A rough sum of the top 1000 teams on EOC (plus team 0 and google) gives 3.1 billion PPD. The top team counts for half of that.
EOC doesn't track every team and there are the teams < 1000 rank (but they're only making 8k PPD by that point) so the total will be a bit higher, but not significantly.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

Thank you. So half of all the points are generated by so called miners. That's what I thought. Maybe some people would prefer that they just went away since their contribution isn't "pure"?

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
bruce

Post by bruce »

SteveWillis wrote:Maybe some people would prefer that they just went away since their contribution isn't "pure"?
FAH's management certainly wouldn't go for that.

Some people earn coins ... others donate ... and still others send $$ directly to FAH. Either way, FAH's research goals are served.
As far as I'm concerned, the scientific results produced are what really matters.