Passkey not sent?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

PaulTV

Passkey not sent?

Post by PaulTV »

Hi,

For a couple days, I'm trying to get a passkey for a new ID (at apps foldingathome org / getpasskey), and it does state 'Passkey sent. Please check your email.' There is no key in the mailbox though (and yup, I did check spam folders). Could there be a problem with sending the mails atm?

Thanks,
Paul

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Passkey not sent?

Post by Joe_H »

There have been continuing problems with some email services blocking emails from the passkey generation site. As a first step, try whitelisting this email address - noreply @ foldingathome.org - which is the address the last passkey came from when I submitted a test request a while back

If that doesn't;t work, try using a different email service. You can also send me a PM here with the email address you used and I can have the person maintaining the passkey app check into it, but that may take longer. I do know it took weeks to get changes at some services last year when the volume of new passkeys triggered some sites spam filters.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
razdwa

Post by razdwa »

Dear F@H forum members
After getting my 1st passkey on Feb.16 I applied for a 2nd passkey on another machine today. Unforunatley I did not receive it so far. I used the same email domain as for the first one. Are there any problems with sending out a passkey right now?
Best regards
Raz
Last edited by razdwa on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

razdwa wrote:Dear F@H forum members
After getting my 1st passkey on Feb.16 I applied for a 2nd passkey on another machine today. Unforunatley I did not receive no email. I used the same email domain as for the first one. Are there any problems with sending out a passkey right now?
Best regards
Raz
No current problem that I know of. There were some issues a couple days ago with that server, but people couldn't access the passkey function at all. In any case you do not need a second passkey. You can use the same passkey on multiple machines, and with multiple usernames.

razdwa

Post by razdwa »

Thank you for your fast reply Joe!
In fact I already used it but still wanted to have a seperate one just to have things in order.
I applied using another email address and will let you know if it arrives or not.
Best Raz
bruce

Post by bruce »

I use the same passkey on all my clients. I have not applied for a new one since long before the email problems were reported.
sidebar

Post by sidebar »

Joe_H wrote:
razdwa wrote:Dear F@H forum members
After getting my 1st passkey on Feb.16 I applied for a 2nd passkey on another machine today. Unforunatley I did not receive no email. I used the same email domain as for the first one. Are there any problems with sending out a passkey right now?
Best regards
Raz
No current problem that I know of. There were some issues a couple days ago with that server, but people couldn't access the passkey function at all. In any case you do not need a second passkey. You can use the same passkey on multiple machines, and with multiple usernames.
I'm having trouble getting a passkey. requested one earlier today around 5 hours ago and still haven't gotten it. checked junk mail and everything and tried different domains with no luck. is there anything i can do to make sure i get one? I noticed an earlier suggestion of whitelisting the foldingathome email and that didn't work as well unfortunately.
Straaft

Post by Straaft »

Joe_H wrote: If that doesn't;t work, try using a different email service. You can also send me a PM here with the email address you used and I can have the person maintaining the passkey app check into it, but that may take longer. I do know it took weeks to get changes at some services last year when the volume of new passkeys triggered some sites spam filters.
Hi Joe, i tried this as said but nothing is still coming through, i cant message you, so could you message me so i can pass on my email?

Thanks
bayonet

Post by bayonet »

Hi there, I have been trying to get a passkey but to no avail. I used yahoo, gmail and outlook/hotmail but I still can't find my emails in inbox or junk/spam, so I'm not sure why whitelisting would work if it is not in spam. I have tried around 15 times over the past week and I still have no passkey. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
vitreouscut

Passkey never arrives?

Post by vitreouscut »

I have tried three different email addresses and whitelisted but it seems impossible to receive a passkey under any circumstances.

So far I have used an address on gmail, yahoo mail and office 365. After initially failing on all, I created a white list filter on gmail and waited four hours. It still failed.

I have checked spam folders and all email folders for the email.

I do not believe the email is sending.
Last edited by Joe_H on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged wit h existing topic
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

I have contacted the person who maintains the passkey generator and asked him to look into this. Will report back when I know more.

jtmedic

3 days Passkey not sent

Post by jtmedic »

Good afternoon

I have been trying for the past 3 days in getting a passkey to no avail. I even created a gmail account thinking that would work but it has not. Can someone please assist me with this? Not sure where else to get help from.

Thanks
bruce

Post by bruce »

Last time the new passkey were not getting through it turned out to be a real challenge. We had to negotiate with email server administrators who were attempting to block what looked like spam. Diagnosing the problem with the server and fixing it took a lot longer than anybody expected it to take.

I recommend you temporarily re-use a known passkey with the new machines. If the passkeys needed by your preferred arrangement come through you can proceed as planned. You'll still have to complete 10 WUs with each combination but the unpredictability of the email problems may push you into a temporary condition.
jtmedic

Post by jtmedic »

Thats a problems since I am new to this and have never had a passkey. I will keep trying.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

I remember it took days for me back in spring of 2020 to get a passkey, so it might be a similar problem now.

One solution I've seen used to get transactional email (like a password reset) through dumb spam filters is to put in a lot of boilerplate how-to text or other sweet nothings, without any links in it. Kind of stupid, since you're just increasing the bandwidth and storage requirements of the receiving mail servers, but it actually works because it looks more like a "legit" email and less like some phishing email asking you for your Netflix password on an Apple branded site or something.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950