Trouble getting CPU work the last few days

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

[Ars] For Caitlin
Hardware configuration: Two homebuilt rigs. Radeon 6900XT. Nvidia 2060 Super.

Trouble getting CPU work the last few days

Post by [Ars] For Caitlin »

Just me? GPU is fine.
comixgoddess

Re: Trouble getting CPU work the last few days

Post by comixgoddess »

Same here, though I am folding on a MacBook Pro so can only do CPU work; yesterday I only got one small WU. Looking at the server stats page, there are a lot of servers shown as "down".
PaulTV

Post by PaulTV »

Nope, not just you. CPU jobs are a bit harder to get atm, I suppose the researchers are hard at work to release new projects for us to heat our houses with :wink:

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Many of the CPU WUs come from Temple, and current all of their servers are down. I haven't heard or seen anything about this yet, someone else had queried them earlier.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mgetz

Post by mgetz »

I'm seeing very fits and starts, server stats is showing that A7 units are going out in massive bursts based on what I'm observing. I saw it spike up to 16k/hr then immediately drop to zero.
DOUBET
Hardware configuration: Windows 10 Pro 19041.985 // Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
i9-9900k // i7-4810MQ
MSI RTX 2080 (lightly overclocked with MSI Afterburner [Core+95, Mem+100]) // GTX870M
UserBenchmark: https://dou.bet/f2 // https://dou.bet/f3

Post by DOUBET »

I didn't have any problems yesterday. Woke up this morning and saw my 10 CPU's just sitting idle and I thought to myself are they taking a break or did I break something? Glad to hear it wasn't just me!
Folding Start: May 5, 2021
Goals Met: Top 3k, 1B!, 4000+ WUs
$/day $-0.345
Find Cure? Priceless
bruce

Post by bruce »

mgetz wrote:I'm seeing very fits and starts, server stats is showing that A7 units are going out in massive bursts based on what I'm observing. I saw it spike up to 16k/hr then immediately drop to zero.
If there are N work servers with CPU projects to distribute and you happen to receive the last WU from that server, the next person will be redirected to a differnt WS. If N=1, that's obviously impossible.

That also explains why the massive bursts occur when N=1 and EVERYBODY is arriving at the only WS with a new project immediately after it was added.

It's supposed to be hot here today, so I guess it's an easy way to reduce the level of FAH heating in my house.
Kebast

Post by Kebast »

Still no cpu work for me either
Ryzen 5900x 12T - RTX 4070 TI
bruce

Post by bruce »

Several Work Servers that normally distribute WUs for CPUs are off-line. I'm not sure why.

It puts more pressure on the servers that do have WUs so they run out quickly. It takes quite a bit of time and thought for the scientists to develop new projects. FAH does not distribute "busy work" but insists that the projects are scientifically valuable.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats

It looks like the scientifically valuable projects are all being assigned to GPUs.

Unfortunately the servers which are serving CPU jobs (Cores A7 and A8) have zero beta jobs except possibly highland1 (128.252.203.11) , so the next CPU projects will not be available quickly. The other servers at wustl have no jobs to distribute except possibly higland1 but it may have only GPU jobs or only CPU jobs or maybe both.
TheDireFolf

Re: CPUs not getting WS Assignments

Post by TheDireFolf »

Mod note: merged with existing current topic

I have a Ryzen 9 3900X, meaning i have 12 cores, and 24 Threads. My CPU is considered CPU 23 and is now stuck looking for work orders. I'm literally looking for all available jobs to see what i can help with.
[Ars] For Caitlin
Hardware configuration: Two homebuilt rigs. Radeon 6900XT. Nvidia 2060 Super.

Post by [Ars] For Caitlin »

Dr. Voelz's team is usually the one with CPU work. Perhaps the semester is over and they are taking a break.
jchang6
Hardware configuration: Intel Xeon E3/E5, various generations from Westmere to Skylake. AMD Radeon RX5x00 and nVidia RTX 2080 Super.

Post by jchang6 »

[Ars] For Caitlin wrote:Dr. Voelz's team is usually the one with CPU work. Perhaps the semester is over and they are taking a break.
grad students never take vacation - (at least that's how it was 40 years ago)
JimF

Post by JimF »

I just returned from a five-day trip, and found that I had run out of CPU work twenty minutes earlier. I think that is a sign that Prof. Voelz and his students should take a break.
aetch

Post by aetch »

Woohoo, looks like the temples are being stood up again. :D
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

I'll keep 2 fingers crossed (on a single hand), that the CPU WU's from Dr Voelz's group will start flowing again.

::: sipping on my coffee and contemplating turning on my X-Box 360 for a nice game of "Batman: Arkham City" :::

Paul