Very long TPF Project - 7600 (Run 12, Clone 51, Gen 26)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

iceman1992

Very long TPF Project - 7600 (Run 12, Clone 51, Gen 26)

Post by iceman1992 »

I am running the SMP slot, Project 7600 (Run 12, Clone 51, Gen 26), the download size is 21.56KiB, and it takes over 30 minutes to finish 1%. Now is that normal? Because I believe I have received project 7600 before and it didn't take this long. Is this a bad WU?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Very long TPF

Post by Joe_H »

Too soon and too little information to tell if the WU is bad yet. The file size of the download is small compared to 7600 WU's I have processed, but that is not enough to tell by itself. The TPF depends on what you are processing the WU on and what else is running on that machine at the same time. If under similar circumstances the machine took significantly less time to process other project 7600 WU's, then you might have a bad one.

Only way to tell for sure is if the WU eventually fails with some kind of error or finishes processing and is rejected by the work server when uploaded. The mods can check to see if others have been able to process the WU successfully, or if there are failure reports from other persons. Normally you would post in the forum for problems with specific WU's. If this WU does error out, post there with at least the beginning and the end of the log and any errors reported in the log. Include information on the machine configuration as well.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

The file size of the download is small compared to 7600 WU's I have processed, but that is not enough to tell by itself. The TPF depends on what you are processing the WU on and what else is running on that machine at the same time.
Exactly, the download size is small, that's why I'm wondering. I'm running it on an i5-2500K @ 4.1GHz, running on all cores. And the FahCore_a4.exe *32 process CPU usage stays around 90-99%.
Normally you would post in the forum for problems with specific WU's.
Which forum is this? Sorry, I am a newbie in the forum.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

iceman1992 wrote:Which forum is this? Sorry, I am a newbie in the forum.
viewforum.php?f=19
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Jesse_V wrote:
viewforum.php?f=19
Thanks! :D Should I ask the question there now? Or wait for an error (if any) ?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

iceman1992 wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:
viewforum.php?f=19
Thanks! :D Should I ask the question there now? Or wait for an error (if any) ?
It usually a bad idea to duplicate discussions, because then things get disorganized and messy. A mod can move the post to that subforum if needed. If you look up project 7600, you'll see that it has a preferred deadline of nearly 14 days. You said that your TPF is 30 minutes. At that rate, it will take 3000 minutes of processing to complete the WU. That's 50 hours, or just over two days. I don't see a problem, but it is a bit strange if that WU takes longer than others. I don't think its a big deal though. Sometimes WUs from a project will take a seemingly unusually long amount of time to complete compared to other projects, but things are okay as long as your meeting the deadlines perfectly fine. You can see all active projects and their Preferred Deadlines at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Jesse_V wrote:It usually a bad idea to duplicate discussions, because then things get disorganized and messy. A mod can move the post to that subforum if needed. If you look up project 7600, you'll see that it has a preferred deadline of nearly 14 days. You said that your TPF is 30 minutes. At that rate, it will take 3000 minutes of processing to complete the WU. That's 50 hours, or just over two days. I don't see a problem, but it is a bit strange if that WU takes longer than others. I don't think its a big deal though. Sometimes WUs from a project will take a seemingly unusually long amount of time to complete compared to other projects, but things are okay as long as your meeting the deadlines perfectly fine. You can see all active projects and their Preferred Deadlines at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
Oh okay then. As I said I'm a newbie, so I'm sometimes not sure where to ask my questions :lol:
Yes, but at that rate, it gives me a PPD of 1300, although the preferred deadline is as you said nearly 14 days. I guess I'll just wait and hope it's not a bad WU :D
Quick question : does the download file size correspond somehow to the amount of processing it needs?
patonb
Hardware configuration: WooHoo= SR-2 -- L5639 @ ?? -- Evga 560ti FPB -- 12Gig Corsair XMS3 -- Corsair 1050hx -- Blackhawk Ultra

Foldie = @3.2Ghz -- Noctua NH-U12 -- BFG GTX 260-216 -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- x58a-ud3r -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- hx520

Post by patonb »

Ah, you've picked up an a4 unit, not an a3 unit... sucks but youre just unlucky.

You should al;so state your system specs.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Quick question : does the download file size correspond somehow to the amount of processing it needs?
Only sometimes, but usually not. I have had 200 KB download files take 24 hours to process on my i7 iMac, and files 4-5 times as large take just a couple hours or so. It all depends on the project and what is being simulated for folding.

As for the comment that an a4 unit is worse than an a3, that's not necessarily true. I have had good and bad a3 WU's, just the same with a4 ones. About all I can say is that the a4 core is newer, they have not shaken out as many bugs as for the older a3 core.

P.S. System specs were listed, "i5-2500K @ 4.1GHz, running on all cores." The OS used is also useful information.
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

The 76xx series of units are known to have clunkers in the series like this. Your unit will run fine, it will just take forever to do it. The pg has given no explanation as to why a few units exhibit this behavior though.
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

patonb wrote:Ah, you've picked up an a4 unit, not an a3 unit... sucks but youre just unlucky.

You should al;so state your system specs.
Unlucky, yeah. lol. Been getting low-PPD WUs. Doesn't matter much, I'm helping scientific research :lol:

Joe_H wrote:P.S. System specs were listed, "i5-2500K @ 4.1GHz, running on all cores." The OS used is also useful information.
Answering this and patonb's post, complete specs : i5-2500K @ 4.1GHz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 4GB of RAM, GTX260 216SP 896MB.

Ravage7779 wrote:The 76xx series of units are known to have clunkers in the series like this. Your unit will run fine, it will just take forever to do it. The pg has given no explanation as to why a few units exhibit this behavior though.
Ah. OK if that's the case. I'll just wait :P

Thanks everybody for the help. I appreciate it very much :D
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Ravage7779 wrote:The 76xx series of units are known to have clunkers in the series like this. Your unit will run fine, it will just take forever to do it. The pg has given no explanation as to why a few units exhibit this behavior though.
No explanation, but at least they are looking into seeing if they can identify a common cause. See this thread on a similar issue reported against some Project 7611 WU's in the "Issues with specific WU's" forum, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20976. Eventually enough information was available to ID a problem, and some WU's were suspended. As to what the problem was, quoting from the last post by the project lead:
tjlane wrote:Hi All,

We are actively looking into the source of this issue - right now, we are not sure. I have alerted the rest of the project managers to check their projects for similar issues, so if there is a deeper problem we should find it.

Thanks,

TJ
So do post with the final outcome whether the WU turns out to be bad or successfully completes. That information may help in identifying abnormal units so they can be removed from processing and eventually a fix to the issue.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Joe_H wrote:So do post with the final outcome whether the WU turns out to be bad or successfully completes. That information may help in identifying abnormal units so they can be removed from processing and eventually a fix to the issue.
Okay I will. I'm gonna wait until it finishes or produces an error, then I'm gonna post in the specific WUs forum. It is still running without errors now. I don't fold 24/7, only around 8-12 hours a day on average, so it's at 32% now.
bruce

Post by bruce »

iceman1992 wrote:I'm gonna wait until it finishes or produces an error, then I'm gonna post in the specific WUs forum.
Don't bother. Topic moved.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

bruce wrote:Don't bother. Topic moved.
Thanks! To update, it's still running with no errors at 81%. I've been busy lately so I haven't been on the comp as much. The average TPF is around 30-33 minutes.