Same WU come down on different machines at different times!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

-alias-

Same WU come down on different machines at different times!

Post by -alias- »

I have experienced this before with the same WU on different machines, but not since I folded with GPUs. The picture below speaks for itself, but what should I do? Delete the last that come down and start it again with the new machine ID?

The error is certainly not with me since both machines that are involved has gone flawlessly without stop for several weeks.

Picture:
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Same WU come down on different machines at different tim

Post by 7im »

You have a choice. Let them both fold, and get points for each one. Or delete one (doesn't matter which one, but if you do, I recomment deleting the one least completed ;)) and change the ID so that it moves on to a new work unit.

However, if you delete one WU, it will get reassigned to someone else to be completed. No optimal solution available.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
-alias-

Post by -alias- »

Thanks. :D
Just out of curiosity! What is the reason why this happens sometimes? If given points for both then it is probably easiest just to let them go as normal, or not?
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Several people have suggested possible causes for this situation but I don't believe there ever has been an authoritative answer.

One theory that seems somewhat plausable to me is that when a sever detects a WU being dumped it issues two new copies to increase the chances of it being completed promptly.

That may be what 7im is talking about when he says there's no optimal solution available.

Of course the server has no way of knowing whether it was intentionally dumped or one of those errors occurred which causes the client to dump the WU.
-alias-

Post by -alias- »

Thank you, I ask because I have experienced getting the message that "this WU has already been received" and then you get no points credited. But it is possible I do not remember correctly here.
bruce

Post by bruce »

When you receive two WUs with the same PRCG (at different times) they might be an identical WU that's being reassigned to the same client or they might be a new copy generated by a server being issued to another client in an attempt to compensate for a dumped WU. You can't get credit for more than one copy of a reassigned WU. You can get credit for a new copy. It's not always easy to understand the difference since to the casual observer, they look the same.
-alias-

Post by -alias- »

Thank you, so this can be pretty random? I have not deleted any WU from some of my machines, but will the WU be rejected anyway, even if it was originally deleted on another donor's machine?

I remember that this happened quite often when I folded with 24 units of the GPU back in 2010, and I left them usually to get done.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I have not observed it to happen very often but then I don't run 24 identical clients so if the WU was duplicated because of a problem on somebody elses machine, I would never notice it.
-alias-

Post by -alias- »

In other words, there is no control of the problem, and we just have to live with it?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

No, there IS control to the problem. The extra work units are ONLY sent out in response to other errors. It doesn't happen that often, so clearly there is a level of control already in place, otherwise it would happen much more frequently.

And if one specific work unit has a lot of errors, and we see many many copies going out, a Mod or Admin can report the WU as bad, and get it taken out of circulation, which is another level of control.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
-alias-

Post by -alias- »

I understand, but but does it work something like this! In the first hand things happen automatically as a response from the server, and if it happens often, and someone report the error, Admin can make the decision that this is a bad WU, and take it out. Does it work something like this?

Edit: I did get the credit for this WU as normal. :D
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

-alias- wrote:...In the first hand things happen automatically as a response from the server, and if it happens often, and someone report the error, Admin can make the decision that this is a bad WU, and take it out. Does it work something like this?...
Nearly. The Server usually have a limit to the number of times the same WU can be reassigned. Under some conditions, it doesn't happen and is reported in this Forum. Admins/Mods may do a look-up on the WU and normally, we report it if there are 3 or more errors, and hopefully it will eventually be stopped from being (re)assigned.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues