P6904 crashed computer and folded on with backup, no points!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

-alias-

P6904 crashed computer and folded on with backup, no points!

Post by -alias- »

I am a bit annoyed, because the following happened to me yesterday. My SR2 folded on a P6904 and by somewhere after 16% there was an error that caused the computer to reset my system and took use of a backup from 16% and folded forward. I did not check the log in hindsight before it was to late and a 16% finished WU was uploaded to Stanford. When my WU from the backup has gone all the way to 100% was uploaded I get a message that said that this WU has been delivered before, and I get no points as a result. I have an automatic backup system for every % that is done, and if something goes wrong the system start again from the last backup. So my question is, why does a broken 16% finish WU get priority before a finished uploadet WU? The result is that I lost 2 days and 450K points. I belive that a 100% finish WU must be more useful for Stanford then a 16% delivered WU.
bruce

Re: P6904 crashed computer and folded on with backup, no poi

Post by bruce »

The EULA specifically says not to manipulate FAH's files. You've discovered one of the reasons it says that. The FAH client is designed to operate unattended and trying to use an old backup to submit a WU that participated (even in a small way) in a crash is definitely not a good thing to do.

Sorry.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

-alias- wrote:...

why does a broken 16% finish WU get priority before a finished uploadet WU?
In addition to what Bruce said... The 16% partial WU was uploaded first. Not a matter of priority, only 1 upload is allowed.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
PinHead
Hardware configuration: Quad Q9550 2.83 contains the GPU 57xx - running SMP and GPU
Quad Q6700 2.66 running just SMP
2P 32core Interlagos SMP on linux

Post by PinHead »

So the WU errored out and uploaded and the automatic backup caused it to keep folding to 100% for no points ... ? Might need to have your script look for the specific error in the log before restarting the previously failed and uploaded WU. Might even be multiple fail points to look for. But I like the intention of the script!
-alias-

Post by -alias- »

I do not like to think that I do manipulation of the FAH's files, my script backups the entire directory of FAH, not spesific files. I also do a backup when I stop the rig for maintance because I often experience that the f@h can start with an error, and I have to make use of the backup I did take before I stop the rig. I do not think that this can be called manipulation of the FAH's files. If the power goes at 98% the automatic backup can be a good solution if the f@h start with an error, but will this also be manipulation of the FAH's files?

But ok, I have then learn that my automatic script for backup as it is working now is not a smart ting to do when it comes to folding. I will stop using it until I have made it better so it can look for the specific error in the log before restarting the previously failed and uploaded WU, just like PinHead wrote over here. If I can manage to make the script work like that, will it still be manipulation of the FAH's files?

Edit: I can see that exactly the same problem have been under discussion before and it was not called manipulation of FAH's files when it comes to backup of the FAH folder! viewtopic.php?f=55&t=21541