Extra points on p2605? [no, a recredit]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

poiuyut

Extra points on p2605? [no, a recredit]

Post by poiuyut »

I have two computer running folding. One completed a p2620 WU for 292 points (no problem there). A few hours later, the other system completed a p2605 WU (Run 4, Clone 51, Gen 46), but when the stats updated, I see 5 new WUs completed for a total of 4080 points. Where are the extra WUs and points coming from?

Extra info (in case it makes any difference): The computer running SMP is overclocked, and was giving EUE errors until I turned down the clock speed. All EUE units seem to be credited correctly though. Also, this last WU hung at 100%, but finished and submitted just fine after I killed the core processes.
kasson
Pande Group Member

Re: Extra points on p2605?

Post by kasson »

The server had a problem earlier where some credits weren't being processed. We did a recredit.
theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Re: Extra points on p2605?

Post by theMASS »

poiuyut wrote:I have two computer running folding. One completed a p2620 WU for 292 points (no problem there). A few hours later, the other system completed a p2605 WU (Run 4, Clone 51, Gen 46), but when the stats updated, I see 5 new WUs completed for a total of 4080 points. Where are the extra WUs and points coming from?

Extra info (in case it makes any difference): The computer running SMP is overclocked, and was giving EUE errors until I turned down the clock speed. All EUE units seem to be credited correctly though. Also, this last WU hung at 100%, but finished and submitted just fine after I killed the core processes.
Depending on the EUE you may get partial credit which is may be why you show 5 WUs.

There is a relatively common error that causes the Linux SMP client to Hang @ 100%. The cause is unknown but killing the cores as you did allows it to be sent out.

You may want to loosen your memory timings on the OC'd machine the SMP client is very sensitive to RAM settings, Alternatively you can try increasing voltage to RAM and Northbridge. For most WUs you wont see much improvement from fast RAM, although if you really spend some time dialing it in on OCs over 3.5GHz you can squeeze a couple hundred PPD extra out of a machine. Unless you really get it stable though you will end up with slower overall times due to down time.

Also as kasson mentions if there are problems with a server reporting credit, you may see WUs from a previous day or days :)
poiuyut

Re: Extra points on p2605? [no, a recredit]

Post by poiuyut »

Thanks for the quick response.

As I stated though, I've already received the correct credit, both in terms of points and number of units completed, for those EUEs. These are additional, which is why I was wondering. In fact, I just checked my stats on kakaostats and these new points are duplicates of the EUE points. (1760 + 270 + 938 + 757 + 355)

Yes, I'm aware of the Linux SMP hang issue. I've had to kill the cores a few times already, but it is beta software, so some babysitting is expected. I've now written a script to check for hangs and kill the cores automatically.

I've pulled back the overclock on both the memory and CPU slightly to be able to run a lower vCore, and thus not cook my room as summer approaches. It's still a huge improvement over stock. At 2.0 GHz the Athlon X2 3800 was doing around 920 PPD. Now at 2.55 GHz it does around 1180 PPD. I was getting the EUEs at 2.6 GHz by the way.