Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

paulwarden
Hardware configuration: abit an9 32x
amd 5200x2 overclocked to 3ghz
2.5gb pc 667
xfx 9600 gso

project 8900

Post by paulwarden »

on each and every one of these i have done lately i have noticed that the TPF is being reported as various different time even though when i check the log it is taking 8 mins 01 sec on 1 gpu and 8 mins 13 secs on the second for example sometimes it is showing in advanced control times up to 1 hour + for the TPF not really a big problem as the WU's seem to complete ok and i get between 19000 and 20000 points ish on my " msi GTX 560 Ti 448 1 is the power edition the other is just standard version
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: project 8900

Post by 7im »

Normal function of the new core 17. Does checkpoints every other frame.

And for future reference, core 17 can be set to do checkpoints each frame, every other frame, every 5, 10, whatever. It's completely configurable (by Pande Group, at the creation of the work unit).
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
gimpy

Post by gimpy »

Are there other projects that do this? If so doesn't that make the checkpoint slider irrelevent? My question is if by checkpoint you mean same type as slider? And there is no other type checkpoint? Do you get your vast vault of knowledge totally from forum? If not where do you find these things?If you don't mind my asking. I know many questions are very basic but I never spent much time finding out.Built boxes,let Fold.As I progress to bedridden now I have time.Please be patient. And thanks for post/
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The checkpoint slider is helpful on some, but not all fahcores. Some fahcores write a checkpoint every time it completes a percentage, which is usually less than the default 15 minute slider checkpoint setting, so it becomes redundant anyway.

On some of the older fahcores, or on the larger work units which take longer, that's when the additional (manual) checkpoint feature comes in handy. I used to keep track which one does which, but that's not as important to me now. On dedicated boxes, I set mine to max (30 min) and let them run. On daily use machines, it's every 10 for me. You never know what might cause the next PC crash.

I find these things by watching my fahclients fold for the last 10 years. And as you can see by my post count, I am an active member of this forum, 2nd in post count, member #3. I was a forum Mod for ~2 years, retired. I am a client tester, a FAH Wiki admin, FAH Wikipedia contributor, and Folding@home web page editor. I did heavy lifting on the last 2 F@h web page redesigns, and am an author of the V7 Win, Lin, and OSX install guides, and Win Config guide. I don't work for a PC integrator any more, so when I fell out of the top 100, I found other ways to contribute. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

and thank you 7im!!
bruce

Post by bruce »

gimpy: if you want to become a FAH expert, start by reading everything you can find: All the install guides/wikis/forum posts and start reading the everyday questions people ask. If you know the answer and nobody has responded, help the person out. If you don't know the answer, there's no need to respond, but monitor the topic for a day or two and see what answers are provided by other donors.

The more experience you get, the more helpful you'll become -- but there's really no pressure for anybody to know EVERYTHING. Sometimes when I don't know an answer and nobody else happens to respond for a while, I'll devise a test and report what I learn.