Project 9401 (Run 682, Clone 0, Gen 34) same WU

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

WiSK

Project 9401 (Run 682, Clone 0, Gen 34) same WU

Post by WiSK »

Hello

Both my GTX660ti cards, installed in separate PCs, picked up the same WU today Project 9401 (Run 682, Clone 0, Gen 34).

One of them will be finished in 2 hours time, the other must fold for the next 15 hours only to discover it's already been handed in?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Project 9401 (Run 682, Clone 0, Gen 34) same WU

Post by Joe_H »

First, how did you set up the F@H software on the second PC? If you installed it separately on both PC's, not by cloning one to the second, then you should be okay and will get credit for completing both copies of the WU. If you did clone one PC to another after installing F@H, then the assignment servers and work servers will think they are the same PC and can reassign a WU as if it was a request to re-download it due to a problem.

As long as the PC's are considered different by the servers, this occasionally happens when a failed WU is returned and two copies are intentionally sent out again to be retried. Normally the copies would go to totally different usernames, but by coincidence sometimes the same one gets both.

If this did occur because you cloned an installation, stop one and uninstall F@H completely including the data directory. Then reinstall F@H. The new installation should get a new machine ID the first time it connects to the F@H servers.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
WiSK

Re: Project 9401 (Run 682, Clone 0, Gen 34) same WU

Post by WiSK »

(PCs are not cloned)
Joe_H wrote:this occasionally happens when a failed WU is returned and two copies are intentionally sent out again to be retried. Normally the copies would go to totally different usernames, but by coincidence sometimes the same one gets both.
Aha, didn't know this. First time it's happened to me. Thanks for the explanation :)