WU keeps crashing my folder

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

dedgar

WU keeps crashing my folder

Post by dedgar »

WU 2665 Run 0 Clone 129 Gen 0
Running this on my E8400 OC'd to 3.96ghz, GA-P35-DS3L, Vista Home Premium 64bit, 4 gig ram.
My computer keeps crashing. Never had this problem with any other WU.
Doesn't crash at the same spot in the processing. I've seen 23%, 32%, 39% and the last time it crashed was a restart from a EUE that then crashed at 9%.
This computer is used for other things but it crashes at any time whether or not I'm doing anything else or just letting it fold.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: WU keeps crashing my folder

Post by 7im »

In my experience, when a work unit ends in the same place each time, the WU is bad. When a work unit ends in different places, it tells me it's not the WU causing data corruption.

What else do you think might be causing the data corruption?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Overclocking not as stable as you thought ? :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
dedgar

Post by dedgar »

toTOW wrote:Overclocking not as stable as you thought ? :roll:
I had the OC higher than the 3.96 ghz I have it at now. Had no problems with other WU's. Played Crysis, Far Cry and COD4 without any problems at 4.05 ghz. But as soon as it got that 2665 crashes started.
This weekend I'll swap in a quad from one of my linux folders and hope to get a 2665 again so I can see if that will make a difference (maybe even tonight if I get home and it's crashed again).
dedgar

Post by dedgar »

7im wrote: What else do you think might be causing the data corruption?
I have no idea. Like I said, it crashes whether I'm there doing something else or not. I don't have any other stuff running in the background.
I've had my anti-V do it's sweep while folding that 2665 and nothing happens.
I've got FahMon 2.3.2 to moniter my linux folders and it's crashed with it running and with it not running. No calls to the network printer from computer either.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

That new work unit uses twice as much memory as previous work units. That might be something to check. Memtest v2.x pass all tests at that speed?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

dedgar wrote:
toTOW wrote:Overclocking not as stable as you thought ? :roll:
I had the OC higher than the 3.96 ghz I have it at now. Had no problems with other WU's. Played Crysis, Far Cry and COD4 without any problems at 4.05 ghz. But as soon as it got that 2665 crashes started.
This weekend I'll swap in a quad from one of my linux folders and hope to get a 2665 again so I can see if that will make a difference (maybe even tonight if I get home and it's crashed again).
As we always say, being stable in other application (stress tests, games or benchmarks) doesn't mean being FAH stable ... FAH is pushing the hardware to its limits, and as 7im said, p2665 use a lot of memory, and is very demanding with the chipset and memory subsystem ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
dedgar

Post by dedgar »

Memory test is done with no errors.
Got the quad swapped in and it seems to be chugging along fine. It's been running thru the night without a crash so far.
Guess the dual core just couldn't handle the 2665. But I'll keep an eye on it anyway.
ppetrone
Pande Group Member

Post by ppetrone »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the heads up. The person in charge of this server has been notified.
Thanks and happy weekend.

paula