WU 11758 & 11778 [Fixed]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: WU 11758 & 11778 [Fixed]

Post by bruce »

Yes, Niel-B is correct.

All WUs must be sent back to the Work Server that is running that particular project. The Collection Server is just a cache for WUs which cannot reach the WS in a timely manner. (It's the back-end server).

Assuming the WU is successfully uploaded to a CS, the WU receives an official time of completion stamp. Then when the CS can establish a connection to the WS, the WUs which have accumulated on CS are forwarded to the WS and the credit record is sent to the DB server.

Due to the oveerwhelming load being placed on our servers' banwidth, the CS is having difficulties forwarding it's cache so it continues to grow and the eventual arrival of the credit record is waiting even longer, making scores of Donors unhappy. The stats DB, is also congested, which doesn't help but that's what people notice.

With considerable effort, we have up-scaled the distribution of work units to a phenomenal level (and people are still working on that) but that has put a lot of pressure on other components of the back-end servers and their processes.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: WU 11758 & 11778 [Fixed]

Post by Joe_H »

There is a known problem on some returns to a CS not getting the bonus points. That usually comes from a bad setting on either the CS or WS, looking into it is on the list of things to be done. It may take a rescan of the returns effected by this and credit for the bonus points given at some point in the future.

As Neil-B said, the preferred return is to the WS that handed out the WU, CS returns are a fallback. Some projects do not have a CS defined, those have to wait until the WS can accept the return.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3