More forum funkiness?

Moderator: Site Moderators

anko1
Hardware configuration: Old Faithful CPU: Windows Graphical 5.03; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540
(3.2GHz) HT;Windows XP
Big Red: Windows SMP Console 6.29; Windows GPU console 6.20r1; Intel Q9450 2.66G; ASUS P5Q 775 P45; [BFG 9800GTX+ old graphics card] NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX [as of 5/9/09]; Windows XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Think Pad: Windows 6.29 w/ SMP; Windows GPU Console 6.20r1 systray; Intel QX9300; NVIDIA Quadro FX-3700M; Windows XP Professional

More forum funkiness?

Post by anko1 »

OK. All the threads have just shown up as "read," i.e. no new posts and I'm reasonably sure I didn't click on the "Mark read" button.
bruce

Re: More forum funkiness?

Post by bruce »

That happened to me after I had been on the forum for a long time. Then I noticed that I had been logged out. The new posts were still orange in each forum, but they were no longer on the "View new posts" output.

Is that what happened to you?
MoneyGuyBK

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

What bruce said is the exact thing that happens with me.

But I did notice earlier today that the forum was down alltogether for about 15-20 minutes.
Funny that I could see my unread PMs increase from 5 to 11 and I could not go anywhere to read them nor could I see any of the boards, there must have been a glitch or maybe maintenance going on.

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
bruce

Post by bruce »

MoneyGuyBK wrote:. . . maintenance going on.
Bingo.

Since I knew when that was happening, I stayed away from the keyboard until the forum was back up. The process did not log me out and did not reset my new post notices -- until my logon session expired later in the day.
anko1
Hardware configuration: Old Faithful CPU: Windows Graphical 5.03; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540
(3.2GHz) HT;Windows XP
Big Red: Windows SMP Console 6.29; Windows GPU console 6.20r1; Intel Q9450 2.66G; ASUS P5Q 775 P45; [BFG 9800GTX+ old graphics card] NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX [as of 5/9/09]; Windows XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Think Pad: Windows 6.29 w/ SMP; Windows GPU Console 6.20r1 systray; Intel QX9300; NVIDIA Quadro FX-3700M; Windows XP Professional

Post by anko1 »

Thanks for solving the mystery, Bruce. Glad it wasn't anything serious.
whynot

Post by whynot »

I was hit with that logout-issue twice today (reading a way long pages of "i7 PPD" thread). I'm personally having no issues with that -- just sometimes look if I'm still logged in. However, the problem with this technic is -- sometimes "Logout" link at top and "Who is logged in" at bottom get out of view, and I sometime forget to scroll to.

Thus -- is it possible to modify "Title" header to exhibit the idea of server about my status?
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

I haven't been logged out since the forum upgrade, but I have noticed the new posts timeout appears to kick in more often than I used to remember (i.e. it resets the new post counter more often, even when logged in). It's possible the forum upgrade has altered the session behaviour, however this wasn't mentioned in the changelog. I'll take a look around and see what I can find.
whynot

Post by whynot »

I hope I've got that thing right way. I believe, that the problem is actually somewhat on my side. I've setup my router to drop connections after 10min idle. When I come back, I, sometime, have my IP changed -- and thus invalidating cookie. (just for the record -- today I've timeouted 3 times and none forced logout).

So I'm still eager for modified "Title:" header.
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.