What blacklist is in use here?

Moderator: Site Moderators

whynot

What blacklist is in use here?

Post by whynot »

I'm asking off pure curiousity. During Saturday, Sunday, and beginning of Monday I was unable to access forum (I can't say when that had started exactly) -- http://foldingforum.org just didn't exist for me. Upon investigating I'd used some web-proxy service and the forum responded to me (this way).

Thad had led me to conclusion that my ISP had stepped in some shit (again) and ended in some blacklist (again). Surely, I'm not looking for the shit, but what blacklists are in use here?

BTW, a news-server I use (it's gratis, however I've subscribed for services anyway) didn't talk to me within that time eather.

And once yet -- no complaints, curiousity only.
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: What blacklist is in use here?

Post by toTOW »

I guess the first step would be to contact your ISP to ask for an explanation ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
whynot

Post by whynot »

As you can see the issue is already fixed (again). BTW, any conversations with helpdesk of my ISP end with: "Have you installed drivers?"
--
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

You need to switch to an ISP that admits when they have a problem and provides real support when they don't.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

And be more stupid than them : answer yes to their questions (is you box plugged in ? did you install drivers ? ...). And don't hesitate to unplug everything so that they can't use remote diagnostics. When they'll have exhausted the option on their list, they should put you in touch with real technicians (level 2) :roll:

This is how I usually get in touch with level 2 technicians (I don't even use the modem they provide).

P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

To explicitly answer your question: There is no blacklist used here.
whynot

Post by whynot »

P5-133XL wrote:To explicitly answer your question: There is no blacklist used here.
I think, I could trust this. I think, that could have happened at level 2 :) (Honestly, I'd failed to figure out another meaningful IP in this forum hoster's range. (Does WHOIS maintain blacklists too?) Maybe next time.)
--
whynot

Post by whynot »

toTOW wrote: This is how I usually get in touch with level 2 technicians (I don't even use the modem they provide).
I doubt there's level 2 at all. My current ISP (transition in progress) names 3 nameservers. While 2 of them sometime ping but are deaf at port 53, the 3rd one doesn't have IP at all.

That's my 3rd ISP -- they all are different, but they are crap anyway. And I don't wait anything better from 4th. It will be just different crap (it's already, I see no signs of billing page reachable with browser; the only option I see is USSD and modem doesn't want to colaborate either).
--
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Did you consider using OpenDNS instead of those provided by your ISP : http://www.opendns.com/ ?

Slash_2CPU

Post by Slash_2CPU »

codysluder wrote:You need to switch to an ISP that admits when they have a problem and provides real support when they don't.
We all do, but there isn't one.
ASRock X99 WS i7-5930K @ 4.4GHz /2x GTX 970 @ 1.46GHz /4x4GB DDR4-2666
Phenom II X6 @ 3.7GHz /2x2GB DDR3-1680 /GTX 970 @ 1.40GHz
450-600K PPD @ ~850W
whynot

Post by whynot »

toTOW wrote:Did you consider using OpenDNS instead of those provided by your ISP : http://www.opendns.com/ ?
Once I've LARTed a responce out of comp.os.linux.networking that in such circumstances I can bravely go for roots. pdnsd (that's my caching nameserver) can treat roots appropriately. Thus a problem is 1/2-hour for configuration. Maybe after transition; maybe not.
--
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Since you are have had problems with 3 different ISP's, perhaps it is not your ISP's that is the problem. Does your govt. (Ukraine) filter internet traffic? I've tried using opendns and it works fine as a DNS server but that will not necessarily help if your govt. is filtering the internet traffic.
whynot

Post by whynot »

P5-133XL wrote:Since you are have had problems with 3 different ISP's, perhaps it is not your ISP's that is the problem.
That's within 7 years
P5-133XL wrote: Does your govt. (Ukraine) filter internet traffic? I've tried using opendns and it works fine as a DNS server but that will not necessarily help if your govt. is filtering the internet traffic.
Definetely not. I've told already I'd gave a chance to some http-proxy (tries to earn from local pricing paradoxes; I've just checked it's IP is local) -- it connected successfuly. I've inspected team's forum -- no-one had such issue; but they are on ethernet or TV-cable. Maybe if that would have happened outside of week-end then I wouldn't even notice.

To the point. They would. If that would give somebody some money in (his or her, but its) pocket. Everybody get used to it. While here are gas-stations, markets, traffic etc they would stay off internet. Hopefully long enough.

And yet to the point. I monitor at least one quite reliable (imho) source where that would be made public. I beware.
--
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I'm pretty sure that internet filtering is not the problem here ... I've seen many P2P services (emule servers or bittorrent trackers) moving to Ukraine because of their "flexibility" in this domain ;)

whynot

Post by whynot »

It is (was?) not about domains. It's about ISPs. The next time (I'm sure there'll be the next time) I'd check my newsfeed's behaviour first.
--