Thread Icons Randomly Missing

Moderator: Site Moderators

Tynat

Thread Icons Randomly Missing

Post by Tynat »

Lately the thread icons, the little circle which indicate the thread status, in the ATI specific issues forum, although not limited to that forum, has been randomly coming up missing with a page reload. Sometimes it's the complete set of New posts icons, or the complete set of Unread post icons, etc and sometimes it's a combination of different sets. Most of the time the page completely reloads fine. I'm using v3.5.3 of Firefox, but it's doubtful the browser has anything to do with it, because in a different tab I have a different site that also uses the same phpBB software and reloading that tab always works without issue.

My first thought was that the server has become unusually busy lately and is sacrificing the icons for the betterment of keeping the rest of the theme intact.

In any case, is anyone else experiencing this?
All clients stopped due to Stanford's upcoming September 2011 decision
codysluder

Re: Thread Icons Randomly Missing

Post by codysluder »

I've seen that problem occasionally but have not seen it recently. I've always guessed that it was an (internet? virtual memory?) timeout somewhere since it's clearly worse on my laptop (WiFi) than on my desktop (wired). The laptop doesn't have much RAM and WiFi plus FAH plus the browser force quite a bit of paging. A refresh seems to fix it for me, so I can't really blame Stanford.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

I had noticed this but most times it was when my Wireless internet connection was slow and I was doing other network intensive activities. I then had blocked all but the icons I wished to see and it behaved noticeably better. After changing my internet connection, I do not see this problem anymore. FWIW, i use the latest version of FF too.
kiore

Post by kiore »

Yes I get this regularly, site fades out and cannot edit quote or pm etc can barely see "view new posts" have laid the blame on my connection which is prety variable here.
kiore.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Strange ... I never saw this issue ... even with slow EDGE/3G connection.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Tynat

Post by Tynat »

Tonight getting all the status icon sets to appear in this forum took several refreshes and this is with a 20/2 Mbps wired connection. I have the router's transmitter turned off as nothing here requires a wLAN. I've rebooted and that doesn't seem to have made a difference. As of a few moments ago, out of 2 GBs of RAM, Firefox is using about 180 MBs, the whole system is using 882 MBs. And, like I mentioned before, combined with a different Firefox tab that has a completely different site loaded which uses the same phpBB forum software and it has yet to exhibit the same symptoms - that suggested the issue was server side.

While it is a minor annoyance, thanks for letting me know that I wasn't the only one experiencing this issue.
All clients stopped due to Stanford's upcoming September 2011 decision