Unable to post

Moderator: Site Moderators

jvt

Unable to post

Post by jvt »

Hello,

I am newly registered on the forums and have been unable to post my first post to the GPU3 forum.

I keep getting the following message:
In order to prevent spam, we do not allow our users to post URLs in any form until they have made at least 0 legitimate posts and have been with us for more than 1 days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you received this message while trying to post the contents of FAHlog.txt, please enclose the log in boxes and submit your post again.

My post does NOT contain URLs or anything dodgy. Can someone please assist me (provided this post is not rejected too).

Thanks.
Last edited by jvt on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Unable to post

Post by Jesse_V »

I had the same issue when I first joined. I had to get rid of the term "URL" in my post and I also unchecked some boxes near the bottom of the post. I think there's one that said "do not automatically parse URLs" or something like that. I think that fixed the problem. I had to poke around with those check boxes a bit to get it to work. Good luck.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum, jvt. I'm sorry you're having troubles. Preventing spam is a continual challenge for the forum and the forum software that's supposed to distinguish between an authentic post from a real person and something from a spam-bot is less that perfect.

Please try again. After you post, you can edit your post to add or remove information. You obviously were able to post something simpler (above) so start with part of what you want to say and then either add or remove sections until you are able to say what you want to say without tripping the anti-spam software. Once you identify whatever it is that's being blocked, let us know so we can fix it.

Jesse_V: Can you give us any more information about your encounter with our anti-spam software?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

bruce wrote:Jesse_V: Can you give us any more information about your encounter with our anti-spam software?
I'd be happy to. I joined the forum specifically to post about the spam teams I found (its called "an issue with some teams"). I tried to post, and it gave me that error message about not allowing hyperlinks. I don't think I had any, but it must have registered one. If you read the post I use the term "http" and I thought that that was the thing that triggered the alert. So I retried by saying "http" in a roundabout way. Still got the error. Then toward the top of my post I had originally said "URL" and I thought maybe that was offensive, so I changed it to "link" as currently seen. Still didn't work. Then I noticed those Options down below my post window, and I unchecked the "do not automatically parse URLs", "disable BBCode" and "disable smilies" and then it worked. I think though that it was the "do not automatically parse URLs" that was by default checked that caused the issue. In any case, it was fixed and the post went through and I was happy. I am glad though that you had spam filters on there.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
jvt

Post by jvt »

Hi Bruce,

After the above post was successful, I was now able to submit my post in the GPU3 forum without problems. It seems to be an issue with first posts, I see other threads in this forum where people have experienced the same.

Cheers
bruce

Post by bruce »

There are two different aspects of our anti-spam software which may have caused you concern.

A new forum member's first post does not appear on the forum immediately. The first post remains invisible until a Moderator reviews it to see if it sounds like a real person with an on-topic question or comment.

The posts of a new member cannot contain a URL. A lot of spam contains a link to their website and these are not even reviewed by the Mods because they are never created. This is not limited to the first post. (I think it's the first 10 posts. Most spam-bots give up before they get that far.) Real people read the error message and make corrections -- assuming the software and the message are consistent with each other.
jvt

Post by jvt »

Thanks.

In my attempts to post, I created a second account, which I now no longer need and would prefer to delete. I don't see an option to delete my own account... am I missing it or is there another process?
bruce

Post by bruce »

jvt wrote:Thanks.

In my attempts to post, I created a second account, which I now no longer need and would prefer to delete. I don't see an option to delete my own account... am I missing it or is there another process?
I can do that for you. What was the name associated with the account?