Issues with THAT forum

Moderator: Site Moderators

endrik

Issues with THAT forum

Post by endrik »

I think we all understand that we've had quite a treasure in the 'old' forum - I mean knowledge accumulated in posts over there answered practically all questions. I've already found to miss it - could we get a brief note on what actually happened and what are the chances to recover that knowledge? Mind you, if there will be no luck in recovering it, half of FaHWiki will have to be rewritten...
yours,
endrik

*Bookworms will rule the world
(after we finish the background reading).
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

I think that the only person that may be able to answer that it WW (the owner of the previous site) and he has not registered for this site yet. Hopefully he's working to restore that site back to working order and we can consider this one as a backup.

There really was a lot of information on that site.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

But the FAH WIKI should get better even if the old FCF shall never return. So, everyone who has knowledge - just contribute it to FAH WIKI.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

And as I have said already, the WIKI contains good info, but the links back to the old forum rarely provided additional content, other than context of the problem and solution. The data is not lost, so little need to rewrite anything just yet.

endrik, your last post on THAT forum was on July 5th, 2007 about WUs not uploading to server .160, and that a firewall you added a few months back was likely the cause of the problem. ;) See... data not lost.

There really IS a lot of information in the old forum. WW is not currently in a position to spend a lot of time to diagnose and correct whatever problems there were. Please have patience. Better to move slowly and not lose the patient, than to go for a quick cure.
endrik

Post by endrik »

7im wrote:And as I have said already, the WIKI contains good info, but the links back to the old forum rarely provided additional content, other than context of the problem and solution.
In general yes, but there are topics relying entirely on the old FCF, just redirecting there like this one. But even apart of such topics that 'additional content' you mention was really useful. As Eco once wrote, the real book you are looking for in the library stands by the book you THOUGHT you were looking for... but you can find it only when you are personally sifting through shelves. Pure index search does not grant you that opportunity :)
7im wrote:endrik, your last post on THAT forum was on July 5th, 2007 about WUs not uploading to server .160, and that a firewall you added a few months back was likely the cause of the problem. ;) See... data not lost.
Depends on who is searching - for me, without any access, it is lost. Still, I just wanted that info, as the situation wasn't clearly stated so far.
7im wrote:Please have patience. Better to move slowly and not lose the patient, than to go for a quick cure.
Absolutely - so no one in nagging, as said I just wanted to know what's our position & possible prospects. Now I am much reassured, knowing that my past uploading problems are not lost :wink:
yours,
endrik

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

endrik wrote:...In general yes, but there are topics relying entirely on the old FCF, just redirecting there like this one.
That's lame. I fixed that WIKI entry to be more complete.

Feel free to point out any others you run across.
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

7im wrote:That's lame. I fixed that WIKI entry to be more complete.
No it's not. I want to thank him for pointing out ways to improve the Wiki.

Are there any other entries that need rewriting? Are there any that you can help with?
7im

Post by 7im »

Wikipedia doesn't simply have links pointing to other data, it has full articles. FAH WIKI should do the same, IMO.

Lame is just having links, not for pointing out the problem. Thanks.
endrik

Post by endrik »

gwildperson wrote:Are there any other entries that need rewriting? Are there any that you can help with?
I will let you know if I encounter one and of course will try to fix things personally whenever I'll be able to, as with any other Wiki.

As for now, thanks to 7im for completing the entry (by extracting knowledge from the proper forum BTW :wink: ) and let's return to crunching, we're wasting CPU cycles here 8) .
yours,
endrik

Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

endrik wrote:In general yes, but there are topics relying entirely on the old FCF, just redirecting there like this one. But even apart of such topics that 'additional content' you mention was really useful. As Eco once wrote, the real book you are looking for in the library stands by the book you THOUGHT you were looking for... but you can find it only when you are personally sifting through shelves. Pure index search does not grant you that opportunity :)
Actually, the fact that the old forum is gone doesn't necessarily mean that the information is no longer accessible. Google has a nifty option of specifying the domain that you search and using cached results.

For specifying the domain you need to type site:folding-community.org in the search box. The fahwiki usually gives the heading of the post it references and that can be put in quotemarks.

Like this:
site:folding-community.org "Steps and Frames"
site:folding-community.org "Frame completion time changes constantly"

Instead of the heading hit the Cached link at the bottom of a result.
Hope it helps somebody.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

How long will that data remain in the Google cache?
7im

Post by 7im »

codysluder wrote:How long will that data remain in the Google cache?
Indefinitely for now, as the old forum is occasionally still accessable, and so Google is still updating the caches. ;)

When I pulled endrik's post info the other day, it wasn't from cache. 8)
Xilikon

Post by Xilikon »

IMHO, even if lots of good data is lost, at least we have collective memories so we can rewrite the lost data each time there is a question begging for a known answer.

Think of the opportunity to clean the infos and get rid of the wrong answers accumulated during the years ;) I'm a eternal optimist :)