IRC

Moderator: Site Moderators

FAMAS

IRC

Post by FAMAS »

#fah on irc.freenode.net . which users are on it? the ones i see in it. why not populate it more? put a link to it in forum title bar
ComputerGenie

Re: IRC

Post by ComputerGenie »

Slack is the new fad, so IRC is always hard to populate. :/
bruce

Post by bruce »

What problem do you expect IRC to solve?

If you're looking for technical support, come here.
If you're looking for a chat site, FAH has a facebook site. There are also numerous team sites that provide similar camaraderie.
If you're looking for regular communications with scientists, that's a transient thing. Once they get their project(s) running, they're busy with other things and either IRC or slack will go dead for long periods of time.
If you're looking for a place to direct suggestions, complaints, kudos, etc. to the Pande Group, visit the reddit account
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

^^^ Spoken like someone that never understood the appeal of IRC :/
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

ComputerGenie wrote:^^^ Spoken like someone that never understood the appeal of IRC :/
You really don't know how badly your assumption missed its mark.

http://sodaant.com/fah.log
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

@7im: Being on IRC != understanding the appeal of IRC ;)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Or lack there of... as in my case. As with any tool, it has its uses. I never really considered whether my screw driver was more appealing than my hammer. ;)

Free form communications doesn't appear to work well in a primarily support environment. Scrolling through 6 pages of the 2 AM debate on Star Trek vs. Star Wars just to catch a couple relevant comments on the new Nvidia driver seems like a giant waste of my time, and no offense, but a little discourteous to all the other participants as well.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

IRC having an appeal does not necessarily equate to being useful for a particular purpose. And yes I understand the appeal having used interactive online chats since before IRC was even available. Quite frankly it is a tool, but there are many better tools available.

One issue not addressed is PG using it. They have only so much time and people to spend on this kind of activity, the suggestion to use IRC would further split up those resources from the existing contact methods.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

7im wrote:..Scrolling through 6 pages of the 2 AM debate on Star Trek vs. Star Wars just to catch a couple relevant comments on the new Nvidia driver seems like a giant waste of my time, and no offense, but a little discourteous to all the other participants as well.
I can agree with that if, and only if, there is some conversation going on that it specifically blocks (i.e., actual help is hard to follow at the time it's needed because of a side conversation filling the screen during the time help is being offered). Outside of that 1 specific circumstance, complaining about a 'G' or 'PG' topic that members of the community engage in is (imo) kind of like saying: "We don't want a community". :roll:
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Or perhaps they HAVE a community and do not want to dilute it further. The Reddit was a bad idea badly implemented, how would splitting into a 3rd support group help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XgFsitnQw
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

Note to self: Go sit in the corner, existing community doesn't want you :/
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I am willing to be convinced, if you think either of these two sentences are true.

Folks confused by the F@H will easily be able to get on IRC to get help with the confusing F@H interface.

Folks able to master IRC are befuddled by the F@H structure.

Myself, I do not see much likelihood of help happening there. That is not because folks aren't helpful.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

ComputerGenie wrote:Note to self: Go sit in the corner, existing community doesn't want you :/
I already mentioned two places where you can find a FAH community.
Have you tried the community that's present on FAH's Facebook site or on a FAH Team site?
If you're looking for a community site, FAH has a facebook site. There are also numerous team sites that provide similar camaraderie.
7im

Post by 7im »

There is a community here as well. Technical support by nature, but more than welcomed to participate here.

I guess we should ask why type you were looking for. Social community or technical community? As noted above, a blended community works for all, but favors none.
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

my opinion: in irc, we can chat on and off topic.