Problems with forum search

Moderator: Site Moderators

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Problems with forum search

Post by 7im »

I tried to find some info on Vista, and typed in some good search words.

This is the error I get...

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: client console cpu how install the vista do i
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

Is the search tool broken, or how does anyone find info to install the CPU client in Vista? Can some of the important common words be manually removed from the "too common" list?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Problems with forum search

Post by toTOW »

I tried something simpler "client install vista" ... and I get the same error ...

That's definitively not good :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Mobius0412

Post by Mobius0412 »

Using a wildcard, " install vista* ", returned a result.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

I can try changing the common word threshold but I don't think it will help much, as things people are likely to search for are precisely those which occur in a lot of posts.

Edit: The board is now re-indexing with a modified threshold value, so we'll see what happens.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

B suggested using Google to find stuff on this forum. How hard would it be to add a Google search bar?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

Adding a google-bar is probably not too difficult, but the altered search parameters I've applied seem to have helped things. Your search terms will actually return results now ;)