False detections of banned users

Moderator: Site Moderators

toTOW
Site Moderator

False detections of banned users

Post by toTOW »

I received reports form forum users that the forum software might not detect ban rules correctly and then issue reports of ban to legitimate users.

I don't know what causes this at the moment, but here what we know :
- On my phone, I was able to get in by switching carrier (I have a phone with two SIMs from different carriers).
- I got reports of successful log in after using a different device on the same network (for instance PC vs. tablet or smartphone).
- I also got a report that using a different browser on the same machine would work too

If you're affected by the issue, you may try one of the workaround above until we figure out what's wrong behind the scenes ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Paragon
Hardware configuration: Rig1 (Dedicated SMP): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 board, 8 GB Kingston 1333 DDR3 Ram, Seasonic S12 II 380 Watt PSU, Noctua CPU Cooler

Rig2 (Part-Time GPU): Intel Q6600, Gigabyte 965P-S3 Board, EVGA 460 GTX Graphics, 8 GB Kingston 800 DDR2 Ram, Seasonic Gold X-650 PSU, Artic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU Cooler

Re: False detections of banned users

Post by Paragon »

This just happened to me...it said it was an IP ban. None of the computers in my house or my phone would access the site. The fix was to use an online proxy server to log in...seems to be fine now though (am logged in normally without the proxy).
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

If you happen to know the IP address your login was coming from, please send it to me in a PM.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

FYI
The message I and others saw yesterday:

Code: Select all

You have been banned from this board until Tue May 07, 2019 5:46 pm.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.
is no longer showing here and I'm not seeing any problem so far today. :?
kbeeveer46

Post by kbeeveer46 »

I got the ban message, as well. It said I was IP banned so I connected to my work VPN and it still said I was banned. I no longer get the banned message this morning.
kiore

Post by kiore »

kbeeveer46 wrote:I got the ban message, as well. It said I was IP banned so I connected to my work VPN and it still said I was banned. I no longer get the banned message this morning.

Yes I had a similar issues, used 3 different IPs and all said I was banned, now (obviously) that nolonger happening.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
bruce

Post by bruce »

Most likely the ban was applied to some kind of a gateway between each of you and the FAH servers. I suppose if we collect a few tracert (traceroute) reports, we could figure it out, but what's the point. It appears to have been resolved without an explanation.

If something like this happens again, maybe we can gather enough data to learn more about it.
Nert

Post by Nert »

bruce wrote:If something like this happens again, maybe we can gather enough data to learn more about it.
So if this re-occurs we should gather trace route and local IP addresses ? Anything else ?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes, traceroute foldingforum.org (or tracert foldingforum.org) and then we compare the results from various locations around the world.

It's not likely to ever happen again. I don't remember it ever happening before in the dozen or so years I've been here.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I didn't found any ban rule on the forum settings that would match the IP I had which were reported as banned ... that's probably some other kind of bug (maybe forum software/server failing to identify the correct IP) ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.