Suggestion for section "issue with specific WU"

Moderator: Site Moderators

toTOW
Site Moderator

Suggestion for section "issue with specific WU"

Post by toTOW »

Regarding this section : http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=19

I think it could be better to have one topic per project instead of one topic per WU ... it would be easier for people to find what have already happened in a project before posting thier own WU.

For example, topic could be "pXXXX", instead of "pXXXX (run X / gen X / clone X)"

What do you think about this idea :?:

We could also split topics into differents issues : "pXXXX : Early Unit End", "pXXXX : Unknown Error" ... It would be easier to isolate differents issues ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
gwildperson

Re: Suggestion for section "issue with specific WU"

Post by gwildperson »

I happen to agree with you, but I'm not sure what can be done about it. Certainly if the Moderators find a topic called. "pXXXX (run X / gen X / clone X)" they can edit the title to be "pXXXX" and if necessary, put (run X / gen X / clone X) into the text of the first post. If there's already a pXXXX topic they'd have to lock one and point to the other one since I heard that they don't have a merge function.

... or maybe you're just asking the Moderators to post a rule about topic titles and hope that everyone reads it.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I think moderators :

a) didn't see this topic
b) don't care

Choose the correct answer ;)

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

None of the above!
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

So can we have your opinion :?:

gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

toTOW wrote:So can we have your opinion :?:
What's the connection between "having your opinion" and saying that the moderators don't pay attention / don't care?

A) none
B) none
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

No. I'll express my opinion to the forum administration, and they can make a change if so needed.

Please consider the possible consequences of bashing the forum administration by saying they don't care, etc. And don't assume that just because nothing has been done yet, or that no one has commented yet, that someone hasn't already seen this thread, and started discussing it with the Admins.

I would like to get feedback from more forum users on this suggestion. Please comment if you wish.
MoneyGuyBK

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

I would like to get feedback from more forum users on this suggestion. Please comment if you wish.
Just my .02/.03
I am always for streamlining and more organized threads.

We'll let the powers to be make the decision.

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

toTOW wrote:I think moderators :

a) didn't see this topic
b) don't care

Just a gentle suggestion ... if you feel a post isn't getting attention from mods/admins quickly enough and that it is urgent, try sending a private message with a link and the reason why you feel it is that time sensitive. We mostly try to help where we can, while dealing with real life like everyone else. :)
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

sortofageek wrote:... and the reason why you feel it is that time sensitive.
Seeing as how he called the Mods insensitive just over 24 hours after the original post, he must think it's really, really important. IMHO, it won't really matter if it takes the Mods a month to respond.
7im

Post by 7im »

The v3 forum software upgrade comes first. We'll deal with less urgent issues after.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

I like being able to search, and find, using the full, P: xxxx (Rxx, Cxx, Gxx),
as in a simple copy and paste from the Fahlog.txt.

So, I guess that I disagree with the OP.
brityank

Post by brityank »

7im wrote:
Aw Geez !! Not again :!:

Hey -- be grateful this isn't like a typical Government Bureaucracy, or you'd be waiting 'till next week :!: :!: :roll:

Looks as if toTOW just cleared out all his Atta Boy's for the year. :lol:
... ... Free Republic Folders - A Tribute to Ronald Reagan ... ...
Xilikon

Post by Xilikon »

IMHO, I prefer the current way by WU since it's easier to spot the troublesome workunit in the forum listing than dig thru a project thread for the specific WU.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Xilikon wrote:IMHO, I prefer the current way by WU since it's easier to spot the troublesome workunit in the forum listing than dig thru a project thread for the specific WU.
It's also easier to spot some other things if all the WUs from a single project are in the same thread. Both methods have some advantages over the other.

Lack of a response from a Mod does not mean that they didn't read the post. The idea was clearly stated so I didn't need to ask you for more information. I believe that no response is required until we either do what you suggested or decide NOT to do it. Personally, I've been rather busy with RL and I don't always reply when I don't need to.