phpbb3 technical issues

Moderator: Site Moderators

uncle fuzzy

Re: phpbb3 technical issues

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I'll just have to remember to jump around in a seperate tab, and leave this open.

Another note on logging in when I get here from http://209.62.36.118/~folding1/ (yes, today also). The first login puts my name at the bottom of the page, but still shows the default skin. If I log in again from there, it loads my preferences and comes up "normal". I can handle a couple extra steps. I'm just glad I have a way to get here when something doesn't want to play nice.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

uncle_fungus wrote:What does appear to be a problem is the frequency that DNS troubles seem to be affecting people.
I never had any issue like that with this forum ... :?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

No neither have I. If you stick the IP address of foldingforum.org in your hosts file you'll never have any problems.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

For those of us having problems who aren't terribly facile with this whole internet thingy, how about giving instructions for
stick the IP address of foldingforum.org in your hosts file

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

Sure, open up C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc in explorer and open the "hosts" file in notepad/wordpad.

Add the following line:

Code: Select all

209.62.36.118    foldingforum.org
Note that if the IP address of foldingforum.org ever changes, you'll need to re-edit this file accordingly.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Put it in and it didn't help. I'm still not welcome at the front door.

sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

Try rebooting the computer to see if that works "more betterer." :)
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Before that post I did reboot. More sameness- at least it wasn't worser muchness. I did get in through the front door once today, but it didn't last, and it wasn't on the machine where I edited the host file.

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

For the record, I have been getting SQL errors and page not found errors trying to get at the forum. The page not found error is especially annoying when trying to post. Everything that was written goes in to the bit bucket!

Seems like it can't handle a few extra users the new GPU2 client is bringing to the site. :(
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

There's not many online people ... I think it used to be more on the old folding community ;)

It might be a temporay outage with the server.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

7im wrote:For the record, I have been getting SQL errors and page not found errors trying to get at the forum. The page not found error is especially annoying when trying to post. Everything that was written goes in to the bit bucket!

Seems like it can't handle a few extra users the new GPU2 client is bringing to the site. :(
I haven't experienced any sql errors, although that doesn't mean there haven't been any.

Btw, if you use a proper browser you won't lose your posts ;)
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

I wasn't able to access the site this morning (around the time 7im posted his response here). Pinging the server timed out as well. Other sites (I only checked Stanford's pages and the News page) were fast as usual.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

I, too, had trouble with the board today.
Somewhere around 1:00PM EST, (GMT -4), while browsing new posts, the ability to connect was lost.

As anandhanju stated, connection to the other sites were very good, as usual.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

It was down tonight around 8:30pm, i think it was definetly a network outage somewhere in the world. Maybe at the datacenter, or maybe somewhere on our side, but ping wouldnt resolve the site, and now it seems to be happy to.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

Ah, this might explain it:
This is the final and and official SiteGround statement for the issues that occurred earlier today with your host server.

The issue itself relied beyond ours and our Data Center's authority. It was caused by a connectivity problem with one of the main upstream providers of our data center. We in cooperation with the data center\s top technicians however did our best to bring an alternative connection route in action as quickly as possible and make your website accessible again.

This operation was successfully completed by our technicians just minutes ago and the necessary reliability tests were performed and successfully passed. Currently no problems whatsoever are present in terms of server accessibility.

We would like to to thank you for your understanding during this short-term outage.