phpbb3 technical issues

Moderator: Site Moderators

rilian

Re: phpbb3 technical issues

Post by rilian »

i posted a link ( http://distributed.org.ua/forum/index.p ... topic=1149 )

then tried to edit it, and system broke it with ...

(phpbb sux)
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

In fact, if you look at your link, it has been shorten for display, but the link is still correct (try to click it and it will send you to the right page) ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
rilian

Post by rilian »

Post any long link, then click edit button and see in the message text
rilian

Post by rilian »

see test
http://distributed.org.ua/forum/index.php ... ONG_LINK=0

edited 1ce
Last edited by rilian on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Yes I can confirm the bug :(

I think it's a variable issue : it take the displayed url instead of the src field :(

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

Yes, if you edit the link, for some stupid reason the link becomes the link-text. Hopefully it's fixable (and not related to the change I made earlier to fix the link targets).
rilian

Post by rilian »

why, when there are lot of better forum engines (SMF!, IPB, vB) we use this piece of crap (also called phpbb)

i cant understand
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

OK I've fixed the editing link problem, which was in fact caused by me when I made links open in new windows :oops:
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

rilian wrote:why, when there are lot of better forum engines (SMF!, IPB, vB) we use this piece of crap (also called phpbb)

i cant understand
"Better" is a very subjective description.
IPB and vB are commercial software under proprietary licences (phpBB is FOSS under the GPL).
SMF doesn't offer any more functionality that we need, over phpBB (although I did consider it as a replacement).

The over-riding reason I kept with phpBB is that we (the admins/mods) are familiar with the tools available to us with this software...that and phpBB3 had a paid-for code security audit.
Kakao

Post by Kakao »

rilian wrote:why, when there are lot of better forum engines (SMF!, IPB, vB) we use this piece of crap (also called phpbb)
I'm a moderator in a IPB forum and I can say it sucks much further than phpbb in spite of the fact that IPB is paid software. IMO SMF would be a better technical choice in the free department. vB is the king but it is paid.

As uncle_fungus posted above the familiarity with the software was a major point in the decision.

May be phpbb 3.x turns out to be better than phpbb 2.x
PeterA
Hardware configuration: PC: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+, 1024 MB RAM, Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition) SP3
Laptop: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3500+, 896 MB RAM, Microsoft Windows Vista (Home Premium)

Post by PeterA »

I was having the same problems. Couldn't stay logged on forum. Had to use laptop. Followed the above advise and deleted the cookies and everything works. :D :D
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I'm bringing an old issue back : the link to personal website in user's profile doesn't open in a new window :( (for example my link here : memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=76 )

_ikki_

Post by _ikki_ »

middle click ? :lol:
Team #35819 P2P-Community
cgcox

Post by cgcox »

Not quite sure if this is the correct thread to be posting on but.........when the forums switch over did you/we lose soe or all of the old threads, and also did everyone have to re-register (or was it that i forgot my old username/password. Just wondering.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

cgcox wrote:Not quite sure if this is the correct thread to be posting on but.........when the forums switch over did you/we lose soe or all of the old threads, and also did everyone have to re-register (or was it that i forgot my old username/password. Just wondering.
We switched over to this forum at the beginning of December after a period of sadly having no forum at all. The old forum is still accessible, but only really usable in a read-only fashion here: http://folding-community.org/

Yes, everybody had to re-register.