Unexpected logout bug.

Moderator: Site Moderators

uncle fuzzy

Unexpected logout bug.

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I've gotten logged out 3 times in the last 3-4 days while reading the board. It's always happened when I get to the bottom of the thread and clicked the "Board index" link at the bottom of the page. I can log in again with no problems, but it's annoying.

edit- It happened again when I clicked a thread in a subforum. It also took 3 tries to submit my last post and I had to login in the middle of posting.

edit- I just had to login twice to post this edit. It seems to happen randomly when I change pages.

edit- ....and another 2. I got logged out, and when I logged in to post an update, it dumped me again That's 8 in the past hour and a half. In the past I had no problem staying logged in for hours at a time.

edit- Might be a hardware issue on my end. I've been in and out of here on two other computers for the last few hours with no problems.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Re: Unexpected logout bug.

Post by uncle_fungus »

uncle fuzzy wrote:I've gotten logged out 3 times in the last 3-4 days while reading the board. It's always happened when I get to the bottom of the thread and clicked the "Board index" link at the bottom of the page. I can log in again with no problems, but it's annoying.

edit- It happened again when I clicked a thread in a subforum. It also took 3 tries to submit my last post and I had to login in the middle of posting.

edit- I just had to login twice to post this edit. It seems to happen randomly when I change pages.

edit- ....and another 2. I got logged out, and when I logged in to post an update, it dumped me again That's 8 in the past hour and a half. In the past I had no problem staying logged in for hours at a time.

edit- Might be a hardware issue on my end. I've been in and out of here on two other computers for the last few hours with no problems.
Sounds to me like your machine is deleting its cookies all the time, since that's how sessions are tracked. Not sure why it would do that though unless it had run out of disk space and just wasn't actually saving them.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

uncle_fungus wrote:Sounds to me like your machine is deleting its cookies all the time, since that's how sessions are tracked. Not sure why it would do that though unless it had run out of disk space and just wasn't actually saving them.
Amen. I had a similar problem with a website a while ago because the anti-spyware software running in the background kept deleting the cookie.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I now have a second desktop doing it. All my computers are running the same security software with the same settings. All have fully updated IE7 with the same settings. The second desktop just started doing it yesterday. This laptop still works fine.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I've never had such issue with Firefox ... :shock:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I tried FireFox on one of my laptops. Loved the spell check. Hated all the crap it allowed to come through. I want an all-in-one product, not something I have to find add-ons for.
Last edited by uncle fuzzy on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

What kind of addons are you talking about :?:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

I've never had issues like this with Firefox either. I haven't tried IE to see if I can replicate the behaviour though.

@uncle fuzzy: what 'crap' are we talking about here? The only Firefox addon I've found that I can't live without is "NoScript" and thats way more advanced than what IE7 can do.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

This is barebones FF vs. barebone IE7- 10 minutes browsing followed by running security software.

With FF I'd find 15-20 more pieces of adware/semi-malicious cookies than with IE. I didn't like the settings section of FF. It was easier to tweak IE to do what I wanted. I stayed with FF for several months becuase I couldn't figure out how to export my bookmarks. I finally went to IE and found how to import them. Then I deleted FF and I haven't looked back.

bruce

Post by bruce »

With the possiblity that it's your anti-spyware software rather than the browser itself, next time you get to that point and think it might happen, temporarily suspend your anti-spyware software. As long as it's re-enabled before you browse to another site, I doubt there'lll be any risk.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

How does that explain happening on one a month ago, another last night and all day today, and not a problem on 2 more? It occurs randomly while changing pages on the forum, either posting or browsing. I even had it on login.
Login>be off when it brings up the index>lather>rinse>repeat>repeat>repeat

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

Are you logging on, on multiple machines by any chance?

(My replies are going to be a little slow, since my internet connection seems to be in it's death throes, and I'm getting upload/download speeds of about 1kb/s if I'm lucky).

Edit: Let's ignore the "which software is better" lest we start a browser flame war ;)
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

uncle_fungus wrote:Are you logging on, on multiple machines by any chance?

Edit: Let's ignore the "which software is better" lest we start a browser flame war ;)
1- No. I have a USB wireless broadband card, so I can only put one online at a time.

2- I agree