Moderator: Site Moderators

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

As you may have noticed, I've modified the forum to show a new post count next to the "View new posts" link, which now appears on every page.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure if it is working correctly, so if you notice any weirdness with the post counts i.e. it may still count posts in hidden forums to which you don't have access, please let me know.
efishy

Re: New posts count link

Post by efishy »

What happen to the new post icon next to each threads?

This is most efficient way to help me figure out which threads have new posts. Also when I click on the new post icon, it jumps me directly to the new post so I dont have to wade through from the top of the thread to find the new posts. It does exists before the forum makeover and now it is gone? It needs to be brought back!
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

The link is still there using subsilver2.
efishy

Post by efishy »

uncle fuzzy wrote:The link is still there using subsilver2.

BINGO -- I switched back to subsliver2 and I do see it now. I thought all other selection will show the same but I guess it doesnt. Thanks fuzzy!
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

The little orange icons are still there in prosilver :|
brityank

Post by brityank »

uncle_fungus wrote:As you may have noticed, I've modified the forum to show a new post count next to the "View new posts" link, which now appears on every page.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure if it is working correctly, so if you notice any weirdness with the post counts i.e. it may still count posts in hidden forums to which you don't have access, please let me know.
I hit the "Mark threads as 'Read' ' on those I visited, and noticed that the Unread Count either stayed the same, or increased if others were added as I perused the boards. Log Off / Log On does reset the counter to 0 if all boards are cleared.

Nice job on getting this live and fully functional. 8-)

Happy New Year!
... ... Free Republic Folders - A Tribute to Ronald Reagan ... ...
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

brityank wrote:
uncle_fungus wrote:As you may have noticed, I've modified the forum to show a new post count next to the "View new posts" link, which now appears on every page.

I hit the "Mark threads as 'Read' ' on those I visited, and noticed that the Unread Count either stayed the same, or increased if others were added as I perused the boards. Log Off / Log On does reset the counter to 0 if all boards are cleared.

Nice job on getting this live and fully functional. 8-)

Happy New Year!
Yes, it's not an "unread posts" count, rather the number of new posts since you last logged in.

Seasons Greetings to you too!
bruce

Post by bruce »

With the current phpBB code, the unread post count does not decrease until you logoff. It starts at the number that was unread the last time you logged on and increases as new posts are added. As you visit the posts, the colored "new post" indicator goes away and you can click the button to remove those icons from an entire forum. Returning to the "View new posts" screen will show the topics that have not yet been cleared by one of those two methods.

After logging off an back on again, the post count is reset to a new value. There may also be new posts with the indicator still set from the preious session but they're not included in the count. (That's different than in phpBB2+.)

Any of this may change slightly as the software is upgraded, but he basic functions do work.