Trouble makers upsetting Forum

Moderator: Site Moderators

Razor_FX_II
Hardware configuration: Proud Member of the [H]orde
Proud Member of the [H]ard DC Commandos

Trouble makers upsetting Forum

Post by Razor_FX_II »

Is there nothing to be done with trouble makers that are upsetting a large majority of the forum's subscribers?
Whole threads on specific topics are being derailed by arguing by users like sdack.
I would think that if it is apparent the a subscriber is intentionally derailing threads and upsetting other
subscribers that there should be a cooling off period given or a note of warning sent by Forum admins.
Just wondering because these Forums are becoming a very poor source for information and discussion due
to the arguing and misdirection.
Proud Member of the [H]orde
rpmouton
Hardware configuration: 1-MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+, AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition-3.1 GHz, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 MHz and ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Win 7 64x, 7.1x client with SMP and GPU slots ~14k ppd

2-ASUS M2NE-SLI AM2, AMD Phenom 4 @ 2.3 GHZ, 4 GB @ 800 MHz and ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Win Vista 64x, 7.1x client with SMP and GPU slots ~10k ppd

3-MSI 785GTM-E45 AM2+, AMD Phenom 4 Propus @ 3 GHZ, 4GB @ 800 MHZ, Win 7 64x, 7.1x client with SMP slots ~4k ppd

4-DELL 2950 Gen III, 2 Xeon E5405 Quad core @ 2GHz, 8 GB @ 669MHz, Ubuntu 12.04, 7.1 client with one SMP slot (bigadv) ~12k ppd

Re: Trouble makers upsetting Forum

Post by rpmouton »

I am sure that there is plenty done every week to discourage "trouble makers."

The fact that this is a relatively large forum with a wide global participation of people with different standards populated by a self-selected group of mostly technology centric posters makes it enevitible to have some amount of friction.

Do the phrases; "Doesn't play well with others", "Runs with scissors", "Doesn't conform to standards" ring any bells?

I believe those people are well represented here (including that handsome guy I see in the mirror every day).

I try to encourage people to post thoughtfully by responding to their best posts positively and ignoring their negative posts.

You singled out sdack but, as abrasive as he is, he seems to be motivated for the general good and has some good ideas and input from time to time (ie; feature request: optional EUE verification by the client viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6378)

If you find him disruptive, try not to bring your self down to his level or simply ignore him.

(EDIT: to fix grammar, yes I am sure there is more to fix...)

Best regards,
Roger
Razor_FX_II
Hardware configuration: Proud Member of the [H]orde

Post by Razor_FX_II »

Thank you Roger for that post and and I thank you for your encouragement for others to play nice.
If I may - I did not intend to call out an individual nor am I saying that there should not be any healthy disagreement among subscribers.
As for sdack I do appreciate most of his comments and idea's but I think as with all of us there are times when we all get a little to emotional about topics and we can become disruptive to the flow of the Forum (myself included). I am just wondering if there is a system in place to help reduce the amount of (hmm how shall I say it?) BS that gets started and then spirals out of control until the Forum has lost it's purpose to be an information gathering and support discussion area.
I do not mean to offend and I pre apologize to sdack for my use of him as an example, he just merly came to mind.
Thanks again rpmouton for your reply.
Proud Member of the [H]orde
rpmouton
Hardware configuration: 1-MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+, AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition-3.1 GHz, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 MHz and ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Win 7 64x, 7.1x client with SMP and GPU slots ~14k ppd

2-ASUS M2NE-SLI AM2, AMD Phenom 4 @ 2.3 GHZ, 4 GB @ 800 MHz and ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Win Vista 64x, 7.1x client with SMP and GPU slots ~10k ppd

3-MSI 785GTM-E45 AM2+, AMD Phenom 4 Propus @ 3 GHZ, 4GB @ 800 MHZ, Win 7 64x, 7.1x client with SMP slots ~4k ppd

4-DELL 2950 Gen III, 2 Xeon E5405 Quad core @ 2GHz, 8 GB @ 669MHz, Ubuntu 12.04, 7.1 client with one SMP slot (bigadv) ~12k ppd

Post by rpmouton »

Razor_FX_II wrote: Thanks again rpmouton for your reply.
Razor_FX_II,

You are welcome.

Praise in public and criticize in private is a good motto.

Best regards,
Roger
Macaholic
Site Moderator

Post by Macaholic »

Things are handled as Admins and Mods have time. Remember, this support forum is all a "labor of love" and we do what we can when we can, so part of the responsibility falls on users to be prudent and use common sense when posting. The Forum Policies are quite clear. Thank you.
Fold! It does a body good!™
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

You can also report a post or a thread with the appropriate button (Image) if you think that something need Moderator or Administration attention. It will send a notification to all Mods and Admins.

You're welcome to report any thread, and we'll check them out.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.