account activation

Moderator: Site Moderators

drew3rdof3

account activation

Post by drew3rdof3 »

Howdy,

This was frustrating. I never received an e-mail to activate my account for this forum.

There needs to be something telling the applicant where to go/who to e-mail just in case activating does not go right. This note should appear after registration and after choosing to resend activation e-mail. When an incorrect login happens a message appears telling the user to contact the administrator. How does a person who has never been here before and cannot log in know how to contact an administrator?

The word administrator should appear in all of the above cases as an e-mail address and/or hyperlink. E-mailing the administrator address should also prompt an autoreply from F@H that at least tells the user an e-mail has been received. The user would not feel ignored. They would also know their filters are not blocking any correspondence from F@H. An autoreply with obvious or frequent issues included might alleviate some burden from F@H's already limited resources.

The time it took me to get my account activated on this board after registering was mostly because I am more than comfortable with computers. I finally got my account activated because Andrew Schofield replied today and manually activated it quickly afterwards. Thanks again, Andrew!

How many accounts (or processors) might be lost... Please make it easier for the next problem child.

Cheers!
Drew
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Re: account activation

Post by uncle_fungus »

I'm working on editing the relevant pages to include appropriate email address. Quite why the phpbb development team didn't think to include it is beyond me.

Edit: An email the administrators link has been added to the site footer, so it should be obvious what to do in the event you can't login/register etc.
drew3rdof3

Post by drew3rdof3 »

Excellent work!
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I think you'll start receiving many spams in this box :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

I do anyway. If I find the time I'll add some obfuscation code too but that means changing a few other things too.
whynot

Post by whynot »

uncle_fungus wrote:Edit: An email the administrators link has been added to the site footer, so it should be obvious what to do in the event you can't login/register etc.
Amazing! Just fixed, no arguments, no ignores,.. It's amazing.
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.