Reformatting and WU count

The PS3 client has been deprecated.

Moderators: skumar, nrimon, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Reformatting and WU count

Postby sirgrinalot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 pm

I have a question that I would like somebody to try if they could. I need to reformat one of my ps3's to fix the file system. However I do not want to lose my WU count in Folding@Home. Does reformatting delete the WU count off of the HDD, or is the WU count tied to the ps3 on the folding@home servers?
sirgrinalot

Re: Reformatting and WU count

Postby John Naylor » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Reformatting would reset the count for your PS3 to zero, as that number is not stored on Folding@home's servers. Sorry :(
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

Postby sirgrinalot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for the help, I'll just let it run then. It's at 1500 WU's and I don't want that to reset to 0.
sirgrinalot

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:28 am

There are two ways that WUs are counted. One is counted by the client and one is counted by the server.

Suppose you have two PS3's and maybe a Windows client or two. Each client will keep track of the WUs it has completed and it will have no information about what other clients might be folding under your name. The Stanford servers, however, collect all of the WUs from these clients and create a total. Obviously the latter number is the accurate one, and you can't do anything that will reset it.
bruce

Return to PlayStation3 client