About projects

The PS3 client has been deprecated.

Moderators: skumar, nrimon, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

About projects

Postby Formula » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Thank you about great progman. Usually when I folding I get project that size is 0/300 000. Is that possible that project sizes can be smaller in future? Like 0/125 000 or 0/150 000.
And my other question is: Are you going release new updates to Life with playstation software?
Formula

Re: About projects

Postby Jesse_V » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi Formula, welcome to the Folding@home support forum.

I also agree that this is a great program, and moreover personally fascinating. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F@H if you'd like some more information. What you are describing is the number of steps the Work Unit requires for completion. The core (a scientific molecular dynamics program that performs the calculations on the Work Unit) operates in an iterative loop, so in that first case it will take 300,000 iterations until the WU is returned. However, this doesn't necessarily equate with ETA, since not all WUs are equal. Some have small numbers of atoms while others are larger or more complex. Thus, a smaller number of steps on a larger protein could take the same amount of time as a larger number of steps on a smaller protein. PS3 WUs are specifically designed to take about 8 hours to complete (it says so on folding.stanford.edu, though I don't own a PS3 to confirm) so that it can be finished overnight. So are you just concerned about the large number of steps, or do you specifically want a smaller ETA?

I've heard from a site admin and other official people that the PS3 will have little to no updates in the near future. There was once a thread in which people could offer improvement suggestions, but there was no evidence that Sony was actually looking at it, so the topic was closed. So unless there's a real scientific need, I don't think there will be changes.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby Formula » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Thank You about information Jesse_V. That 0/300000 I mean:
Picture source: Wikipedia
That value what I is in the progres place.

When that progress value is 300000 then It takes 6,5 h to make project ready to send back. I hope that like 3 hours project or smaller.
Formula

Postby JonazzDJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Don't count on any new updates. It isn't in the interests of Sony (and probably the PG) to update/improve the client. The PG has however stated that they are interested in developing clients for the next generation of consoles.
JonazzDJ

Return to PlayStation3 client