Sony announces PS3 folding to end in November 2012

The PS3 client has been deprecated.

Moderators: skumar, nrimon, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Sony announces PS3 folding to end in November 2012

Postby Evanguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 pm

This is very depressing stuff... I used this this as a means to contribute to science AND to heat my room in the winter! Ha... oh well. Yeah I had a WU that had been completed for a few days, but would not be able to connect for another one, so every day I'd turn it on and try again, and it seems it wouldn't upload the completed WU and wouldn't grab a new one... today I ran it again and got the "update" 1.22 which just killed the program... so I don't even know if my last WU counted, oh well. In all I crunched probably about 3000+ PS3 WUs over the years (not constant like some people). Was a great run and I'm sure helped a lot... just sad to see things like this go away. Can only hope the future has even bigger and better things in store.

Good job everyone! LWP is now just a waste of 228 MB on my machine, guess it's time to go.
Evanguy

Postby Jesse_V » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:41 pm

That's quite an impressive contribution Evanguy! You're still able to fire up the hardware in your computer you know... :)
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby Evanguy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 am

Yeah I know I can use my computer, thing is my laptop is pretty old by most standards, and the graphics card is pretty blah. I tried to install F@H on this thing a few months ago and it seemed to not even work properly, my whole machine would basically freeze up, and it didn't even seem to be completing any actual work. Could have been a compatibility issue when I downloaded it I'm not sure... but will probably give it another go soon as this thing stays on day and night...
Evanguy

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:15 am

Evanguy wrote:Yeah I know I can use my computer, thing is my laptop is pretty old by most standards, and the graphics card is pretty blah. I tried to install F@H on this thing a few months ago and it seemed to not even work properly, my whole machine would basically freeze up, and it didn't even seem to be completing any actual work. Could have been a compatibility issue when I downloaded it I'm not sure... but will probably give it another go soon as this thing stays on day and night...
We're drifting off topic but please fill in your hardware descriptions in your User Control Panel "Profile" (Specifically which GPU your laptop has. (There are a lot of older graphics systems that are not supported on FAH.)
bruce

Postby Jesse_V » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Jesse_V

Postby Evanguy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:58 am

bruce wrote:
Evanguy wrote:Yeah I know I can use my computer, thing is my laptop is pretty old by most standards, and the graphics card is pretty blah. I tried to install F@H on this thing a few months ago and it seemed to not even work properly, my whole machine would basically freeze up, and it didn't even seem to be completing any actual work. Could have been a compatibility issue when I downloaded it I'm not sure... but will probably give it another go soon as this thing stays on day and night...
We're drifting off topic but please fill in your hardware descriptions in your User Control Panel "Profile" (Specifically which GPU your laptop has. (There are a lot of older graphics systems that are not supported on FAH.)

Sorry for the off topic but I filled that space in, didn't know about that, thanks.
Evanguy

Postby n_w95482 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:13 am

Yeah, mine timed out too. Sad to see it go :(.

Stats for my PS3 (took a picture of it before closing):
WUs downloaded: 3531
WUs awarded points: 3520
WUs waiting to be uploaded (grr!): 1
WUs timed out: 10
Folding since December 2003. In memory of my mother, who lost her battle with cancer.

n_w95482

Postby wickedproxy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:51 am

Didn't get to take a picture of mine. :( It did an auto update (which I'm pretty sure I had off) so all I could see was that a patch for LWP had been downloaded. Guess that should be a lesson for me to check my settings after each mandatory update from now on. :/
I will miss folding on my PS3
wickedproxy

Postby lohphat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 am

Why not just have a stand-alone application like Netflix or any game so that user's can install it and use their PS3 as they see fit? Why does Sony have to allow a customer what they can or cannot install onto their own property?
lohphat

Postby csvanefalk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 am

lohphat wrote:Why not just have a stand-alone application like Netflix or any game so that user's can install it and use their PS3 as they see fit? Why does Sony have to allow a customer what they can or cannot install onto their own property?

I guess there are several reasons Sony would not like to make their APIs publicly available. One of the primary ones is most likely that they make a huge amount of money from granting licensed access (I think a PS3 dev kit is $2000, and there are probably additional license fees that come with that). Apart from that, they might be concerned that public APIs would lead to reverse engineering and generally illegal behavior. I highly doubt this will change for the PS4.

I fondly remember the days you could still install Linux on a PS3 though :(
csvanefalk

Postby bruce » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Sony security is very strict. I've never heard of a PS3 virus or other "bad" things. The PS3 is designed for kids, not for geeks.
bruce

Postby k1wi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm

bruce wrote:Sony security is very strict. I've never heard of a PS3 virus or other "bad" things. The PS3 is designed for kids, not for geeks.
Well, no viruses, but the PSN network got hacked bad and they tried to hide it for a week and PS3 root keys got exposed at least once...
k1wi

Postby Stephenish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Is there any news on what science advances have resulted from the volunteer time contributed by all of us PS3 users? To be clearer, is there any way to differentiate the results from the PS3s and the rest of the computers?

Edit: after reading the above link to the Alzheimer's treatment, I am encouraged. Are there any other results from our efforts that we can be encouraged by?
Stephenish

Postby stretch0069 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 am

:(

no more folding for me.

no PS4 in my future.

getting a bit tired of the forced obsolescence these days...... :(

y'all have fun.

mikee out..........
stretch0069

Postby JanQ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:54 am

Sony sucks....

I paid the PS3 and I have no control on the programs running on MY ps3.

No more SONY for me.

Jan :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
JanQ

PreviousNext

Return to PlayStation3 client