PS3 Client to PC?

The PS3 client has been deprecated.

Moderators: skumar, nrimon, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

PS3 Client to PC?

Postby wanderer000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi, I used to fold back in the day on PS3 and have recently decided to get back in the scene with my PC. What I was wondering is if there is a way to port the PS3 version of the software to the PC. Now why would I want to do that you ask? Well I just think that the PS3 version is a lot more advanced than the PC version in terms of graphical fidelity, what with a functional day/night globe and a much smoother molecule animation.
wanderer000

Re: PS3 Client to PC?

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:47 pm

wanderer000 wrote:Hi, I used to fold back in the day on PS3 and have recently decided to get back in the scene with my PC. What I was wondering is if there is a way to port the PS3 version of the software to the PC. Now why would I want to do that you ask? Well I just think that the PS3 version is a lot more advanced than the PC version in terms of graphical fidelity, what with a functional day/night globe and a much smoother molecule animation.

The PS3 version has been deprecated by Sony. What happens to that code is up to them, so it's not likely they'll be porting it to the PC platform.

The PS3 has rather sophisticated graphics hardware and the viewer was customized to work on their hardware. The PC viewer has to compete with the client that folds on the GPU so there's a conflict between using those resources for more science or for more sophisticated pictures. The PS3 couldn't use the graphics hardware for science. In fact, the scientific value produced by the PS3 client was very limited compared to what can be done today with PC hardware.
bruce

Postby wanderer000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Ah alright, that makes sense then. I was just merely interested in having a more polished GUI of some sort, but if it takes away too many resources, I suppose it's not worth it. Thanks for the clarification.
wanderer000

Postby Jesse_V » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:30 pm

wanderer000 wrote:Ah alright, that makes sense then. I was just merely interested in having a more polished GUI of some sort, but if it takes away too many resources, I suppose it's not worth it. Thanks for the clarification.

Hold on there, it's not over yet. This is in alpha at the moment, but making progress: https://github.com/Jesse-V/Folding-Atomata
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby wanderer000 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:56 am

Oh sweet! Thanks, Jesse! I'll definitely check this out once I get around to redoing my Ubuntu install.
wanderer000

Return to PlayStation3 client