PS3 F@H passkey

The PS3 client has been deprecated.

Moderators: skumar, nrimon, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: PS3 F@H passkey

Postby bdwilson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:57 pm

katakaio wrote:
codysluder wrote:So, long story short: does anyone know if you can enter a passkey on the PS3? If you can, I'll register for one right away so I can receive bonuses on my SMP clients. If not, I won't risk getting zero credit on my PS3 by doing so.

As Zagen said above, there is no risk. You do get credit despite not using a passkey. I have two PS3's folding right now. There is no passkey box, however I have confirmed that if you enter your ID and team number, the points ARE added to your total as the work units are completed. I disabled all of my folding systems except the PS3's to confirm this, and was credited 2,000 points in 24 hours (roughly 1k on each system). Once your PS3 starts folding, you can confirm that it is crediting your account by pressing triangle and clicking on the "identity" option. If the ID you entered is recognized, it will take you to the Stanford website for your user ID, listing the overall points and WU's you have completed in the past (this is the same page that pops up when you click your ID in the PC version.) Essentially, if it takes you to that page, you know it is crediting points to your account.
bdwilson

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Exactly. Well said Zagen30. I'd recommend you get yourself a passkey for your SMP client katakaio, because with it your PPD will greatly increase. Of course you still need to complete 10 WU with a passkey and then maintain an 80% successful return rate. Also, as posted in folding.typepad.com, they are going to change the stats system so that the last couple digits of a user's passkey will be shown for those who use one.
Pen tester at Cigital/Synopsys
Jesse_V

Postby bruce » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:39 pm

The PS3 client does not accept a passkey. None is needed.

I believe you're being overly concerned about getting zero points. The operating system on your PS3 is extremely secure and I know of no cases where the points were zeroed because of the distribution of a Trojan version of FAH, nor can such a Trojan be installed on PS3's world-wide.

Since the introduction of passkeys, the transition to supporting them has been moving forward slowly, starting first with the SMP bonus plan. The migration is complete for the SMP client although some adjustments are still being made. The passkey bonus is gradually being added to the uniprocessor projects. The PS3, the GPU client, and a portion of the Uniprocessor projects still receive no bonuses. At the present time, the bonuses on your SMP client and on some uniprocessor projects do matter, and you will certainly want to use your passkey there. The long-term goal is to adopt passkeys everywhere, but like I said, the transition is moving slowly.
bruce

Postby Jesse_V » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:52 pm

I don't know if there is one already there, but I hope on v7 there will be some kind of link to the passkey FAQ so that people can easily get one if they want. That way they won't have to hunt around on the F@h site. :)
Jesse_V

Postby 7im » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 pm

The link is already in the V7 client, right above the place where you type in the passkey...

The V7 install guide also has a link to the passkey page.

If you don't want to run the client yet, you can always read the documentation to become more familiar with the client and features. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby katakaio » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks for the clarifications, everyone! I thought (erroneously) that clients without passkeys would get their submissions bounced. I'm glad to hear that's not the case.
Rescue_166
Intel Core i5-3550
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 560 Ti
katakaio

PS3 F@H passkey

Postby jts5009 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post on these boards. I’ve checked through some of the older threads, but couldn’t find what I needed, but I apologize if I missed it somewhere.

Some quick background first: I’ve been folding for a few years now with my PS3, but just recently got into folding on my laptop as well. So far, I’ve been using the 6.23 uniprocessor client. I had initially started by folding one unit at a time, but because I have a dual core machine (with four ‘logical cores’ according to Microsoft to accommodate hyperthreading), I’ve recently switched to using two separate instances of the uniprocessor F@H client. I’ve found that if I try to run four instances of the uniprocessor client, it’ll work, but it roughly doubles the time to process a unit, so I’ve reverted to using only two instances at a time because it’s more beneficial for the science to return work units quickly. I’m using a 2.4 GHz Intel i5 processor on an HP laptop approximately 1.5 years old (Windows 7).

Now that that background’s out of the way, I’m contemplating installing the 6.34 SMP2 client as soon as my two outstanding work units complete (they’re at 40% and 29% respectively). First, will my machine generally be powerful enough to return these SMP2 work units within their deadlines, or would I need something with four+ physical cores to be able to do this? For reference, when running two instances of the F@H uniprocessor client, it takes about 20 hours to complete each project I’ve been receiving lately (i.e., if I were to start them at the same time, twenty hours later I’d have two completed work units. My most recent two projects are #7000 and #7001). Second, I’ve seen a bit on here about bonus points for completing units quickly. From what I’ve seen, having a passkey is one of the requirements to getting these bonus points. The PS3 version of the client does not require a passkey, and from what I’ve seen, it’s a feature that was meant to be added at one point, but has not yet been pushed to PS3s as a software update. I’m not sure if the software team still plans to upgrade the PS3 client or not. Hypothetically, if I were to install the 6.34 SMP2 client on my laptop and configure it with a passkey, would my PS3 points still flow through to my account?

I might have more questions later, but for now, getting answers to those two would be very helpful. Thanks!
jts5009

Re: Passkey Compatibility with the PS3

Postby Zagen30 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, jts5009.

Your SMP performance depends in large part on how often you fold. If you're only folding for a few hours each day you may miss the deadlines with that processor. If you're folding 24/7 (or nearly so) you should have no problems meeting the deadlines. Make sure to add the -smp flag or else the client will only get uniprocessor WUs.

At this point development on the PS3 client has ceased, so it'll never be passkey-compatible. That being said, any work that it does will still get credited to your username, just not the combination of your username+passkey.
Zagen30

Postby jts5009 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:27 am

jts5009 wrote:Hi everyone. This is my first post on these boards. I’ve checked through some of the older threads, but couldn’t find what I needed, but I apologize if I missed it somewhere.

Some quick background first: I’ve been folding for a few years now with my PS3, but just recently got into folding on my laptop as well. So far, I’ve been using the 6.23 uniprocessor client. I had initially started by folding one unit at a time, but because I have a dual core machine (with four ‘logical cores’ according to Microsoft to accommodate hyperthreading), I’ve recently switched to using two separate instances of the uniprocessor F@H client. I’ve found that if I try to run four instances of the uniprocessor client, it’ll work, but it roughly doubles the time to process a unit, so I’ve reverted to using only two instances at a time because it’s more beneficial for the science to return work units quickly. I’m using a 2.4 GHz Intel i5 processor on an HP laptop approximately 1.5 years old (Windows 7).

Now that that background’s out of the way, I’m contemplating installing the 6.34 SMP2 client as soon as my two outstanding work units complete (they’re at 40% and 29% respectively). First, will my machine generally be powerful enough to return these SMP2 work units within their deadlines, or would I need something with four+ physical cores to be able to do this? For reference, when running two instances of the F@H uniprocessor client, it takes about 20 hours to complete each project I’ve been receiving lately (i.e., if I were to start them at the same time, twenty hours later I’d have two completed work units. My most recent two projects are #7000 and #7001). Second, I’ve seen a bit on here about bonus points for completing units quickly. From what I’ve seen, having a passkey is one of the requirements to getting these bonus points. The PS3 version of the client does not require a passkey, and from what I’ve seen, it’s a feature that was meant to be added at one point, but has not yet been pushed to PS3s as a software update. I’m not sure if the software team still plans to upgrade the PS3 client or not. Hypothetically, if I were to install the 6.34 SMP2 client on my laptop and configure it with a passkey, would my PS3 points still flow through to my account?

I might have more questions later, but for now, getting answers to those two would be very helpful. Thanks!

Looks like I had my thread moved here by a mod, but this old thread is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Those work units are at 69% and and 58% right now. Once they've finished, I'll go ahead and play around with the SMP2 client tomorrow.
jts5009

Previous

Return to PlayStation3 client