Life With Playstation integration

The PS3 client has been deprecated.

Moderators: skumar, nrimon, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Life With Playstation integration

Postby Tears of Ash » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 pm

There's this new program they're adding to the PS3 sometime soon called Life With Playstation. It's supposed to be news/weather on a globe similar to Wii's News/Weather Channels. However, it has also been said that this program has integration with the Folding@Home client. That seems pretty cool, but I have a few concerns that I would like to have addressed:

First of all, wouldn't integrating such a thing with another program, take away from some of the processing power that F@H would otherwise be using? Perhaps it's too minor to notice. Secondly, I was wondering if there will still be an option to run Folding@home standalone, or if F@H will simply be merged into LWP.

source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/ ... n-its-way/
Tears of Ash

Re: Life With Playstation integration

Postby smASHer88 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:32 pm

mmm this is interesting
Cheers

Aussie Rules Footy | Team 52735
smASHer88 - AMD64 3500+ 2.2GHz 2GB WinXP Pro SP2 5.04
Lahm_Family - Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2GB SMP
smASHer88_PS3 & Lahm_Family_PS3 - both 40GB PAL PS3s
smASHer88

Postby ruth » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Probably mentioned before but Integration with Home
ruth

Postby nrimon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Tears of Ash wrote:... wouldn't integrating such a thing with another program, take away from some of the processing power that F@H would otherwise be using?

Potentially yes, however we have worked around this so that the Cell processor easily handles both tasks at the same time. The SPUs that do most of the folding work are kept unchanged.
Thanks,
Noam
Sony Development Team
nrimon
Sony Development Team Member

Postby Chunk420 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:45 am

nrimon wrote:
Tears of Ash wrote:... wouldn't integrating such a thing with another program, take away from some of the processing power that F@H would otherwise be using?

Potentially yes, however we have worked around this so that the Cell processor easily handles both tasks at the same time. The SPUs that do most of the folding work are kept unchanged.
Thanks,
Noam
Sony Development Team

hey noam, is it going to be a stand alone app or you have to option to use both as seperates or you have to use them together? as in you can use home by its self and or life w/ps by its self? or its it you use folding you use life w/ps, always?

thanks noam for the great app!!!

<3 chunk! :p
Chunk420

Postby smASHer88 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:34 pm

I think its obvious to say that this will almost certainly increase the amount of PS3 folders, but i'm very much concerned.. how are work units going to be dealt to people who might only use this 'Life With Playstation' only a couple of hours a week?

Will there be new, super small work units come out? Or will deadlines get significantly longer (say a fortnight or more) to ensure that the above-mentioned casual users return results in time?

Noam mate its great to hear that the folding power won't take a big hit, and i'm very much looking forward to seeing this new program!
smASHer88

Postby bruce » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:41 am

smASHer88 wrote:Will there be new, super small work units come out? Or will deadlines get significantly longer (say a fortnight or more) to ensure that the above-mentioned casual users return results in time?

There has always been and I'm quite certain there will continue to be a relationship between the number of hours required finish a WU and the deadline. The deadlines will NOT get significantly longer in a way that might accommodate a PS3 that only runs a few hours per week. The whole point of the PS3 client is to make use of the speed of the cell hardware and there are plenty of older generation PCs that can do as much work per week as a couple of hours per week on a PS3.

The time required to finish an individual WU depends mostly on two factors: the number of atoms in the protein, and the number of nanoseconds of time simulated. The faster WUs either have low atom counts or shorter simulation times. Generally speaking, it seems that the longer WUs are in the "advanced" group and the shorter ones are not, but I'm not sure if that's intentional or simply a matter of chance.

If the shorter WUs take 6-9 hours, I suppose it would be possible to create even shorter WUs (less simulated time) which will upload/download many times per day rather than just 3 or 4, but that wastes extra time not folding and it puts extra load on the servers. The deadlines would be even shorter, though.

I don't make decisions about WU size, so I can only express my personal opinion, but it doesn't sound like it would be a good fit -- particularly in the light of the server troubles that we had some time back.

The best suggestion I can offer is to somehow integrate the automatic shutdown process with this client. What about an explicit question when the person exits the client - - something along the lines of "The current WU needs xx more hours to finish and is due on Month Day at HH:MM. Do you want to continue processing the active WU and shut down when it's done or do you plan to resume processing before the deadline?"
bruce

Postby Baowoulf » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:47 am

bruce wrote:The best suggestion I can offer is to somehow integrate the automatic shutdown process with this client. What about an explicit question when the person exits the client - - something along the lines of "The current WU needs xx more hours to finish and is due on Month Day at HH:MM. Do you want to continue processing the active WU and shut down when it's done or do you plan to resume processing before the deadline?"

I wonder if they should have the time until deadline right underneath the time to completion. That way they know how much spare time besides time needed for folding in case something comes up. Power surge, wanting to watch a movie, etc.

I think smasher is just wondering if there would be any new WU's to deal with the people who might spend less time with their PS3's online that start with Life instead of F@H. People who start with F@H know from the beginning most of the time that the WU's will need a couple hours per WU to finish.
Baowoulf

Postby nrimon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Chunk420 wrote:hey noam, is it going to be a stand alone app or you have to option to use both as seperates or you have to use them together? as in you can use home by its self and or life w/ps by its self? or its it you use folding you use life w/ps, always?

thanks noam for the great app!!!

<3 chunk! :p

Sorry, I cannot reveal this information right now. Please hang tight...
Noam
Sony Development Team
nrimon

Postby nrimon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:37 pm

smASHer88 wrote:I think its obvious to say that this will almost certainly increase the amount of PS3 folders, but i'm very much concerned.. how are work units going to be dealt to people who might only use this 'Life With Playstation' only a couple of hours a week?

Will there be new, super small work units come out? Or will deadlines get significantly longer (say a fortnight or more) to ensure that the above-mentioned casual users return results in time?

Noam mate its great to hear that the folding power won't take a big hit, and i'm very much looking forward to seeing this new program!

Hi smASHer,
Thanks for your message. We will continue to work with Stanford to adjust the types of units that are sent out and adjust deadlines on some projects. It might make sense to deploy some adjustments but we have no proof of that yet, we will definitely keep a close eye on it in the near future.
Cheers,
Noam
Sony Development Team
nrimon

Postby smASHer88 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks Noam

bruce wrote:The best suggestion I can offer is to somehow integrate the automatic shutdown process with this client. What about an explicit question when the person exits the client - - something along the lines of "The current WU needs xx more hours to finish and is due on Month Day at HH:MM. Do you want to continue processing the active WU and shut down when it's done or do you plan to resume processing before the deadline?"

I suppose overall, PS3 folders just need more awareness of 'deadlines' and why they are in place etc. Maybe there could be some sort of 'first-time' startup guide, that basically gives u like an interactive rundown on not only the folding program and how to operate, what basic features it has, but a little on how to contribute more effectively etc.
smASHer88

Postby Baowoulf » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:04 pm

I still think just put a Time to Deadline timelimit underneath the Time to Completion or Estimated End. Maybe between the Time to Completion and Estimated End.

But have it be the first deadline so if something happens if they are trying to get it done just before the deadline and say something happens then they have time to fix it and still get it in.
Baowoulf

Postby kwijibo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:40 am

I think the loss of the ability to use auto shutdown needs to be addressed. I used to leave my ps3 on every night after playing, but I have no desire to leave it on all night. Without a way to set it to shutdown after either the current WU or a cetain period of time, I think my folding will go down.

Also, did the Life with Playstation integration get rid of the ability to input username? I fold as part of a team but don't know if my current ps3 folding is going to the team stats (or even my individual stats for that matter).
kwijibo

Postby J_Rivers » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:18 pm

The auto-shutdown & identity features are still available. They lie within the settings menu of the F@H channel.
J_Rivers

Postby smASHer88 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:34 pm

lol the features or settings are quite well hidden!
smASHer88

Next

Return to PlayStation3 client