Life With Playstation integration

The PS3 client has been deprecated.

Moderators: skumar, nrimon, Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: Life With Playstation integration

Postby esoteric17 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:31 pm

smASHer88 wrote:It's probably been posted.. but i beleive the NS decrease or whatever was due to the increase in complexity of the work units results which will now be as accurate as GPU work units results?

Pretty sure its something like that

Indeed; explanation here: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/09 ... ation.html
esoteric17

Postby nrimon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:57 pm

mizzourahslim wrote:I know that it's been said there is no noticeable performance difference, but could someone educate me because this seems like a significant decrease.
the area 0.####s/frame is almost cut in half while the ###.##ns/day has increased. thank you

Hi, mizzourahslim,
You're confusing things here on various levels. Let me see if I can explain this in basic terms:

Your screen-grabs actually show that the protein running in LWP runs faster (almost by a factor of 2) that the older version, the frame time goes down because it is in reverse proportion to the speed of computation (the faster you compute a frame, the faster the simulation will end, short frame = good)
So your comment about decrease in speed is, simply put, incorrect.
Having said that, you are also comparing 2 different proteins (p5312 and p4025), moreover, they are using different cores, so its really comparing apples and oranges here. The means that even though your screen grabs show that LWP runs twice as fast from older version, it doesn't actually mean that, simply because the source data they are working on is completely different.

But most importantly- the new LWP core is essential to the science that Stanford run (the fine-tuning of accuracy of the computation is essential in this line of research) so comparing the new core to the old core is pretty much irrelevant since the science requires us to move to the new computation method.
Hope this helps,
Noam
Sony Development Team
nrimon
Sony Development Team Member

Postby hdtvtechno » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:27 am

How do i disable the life with playstation
and get the old Fold@home app graphics back ?
hdtvtechno

Postby John Naylor » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:33 am

You can't, but if you want to see the folding@home screen hold square and press down.
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
John Naylor

Postby codysluder » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 pm

John Naylor wrote:You can't, but if you want to see the folding@home screen hold square and press down.

Can somebody build a "How To" that tells us all these hidden methods of getting FAH to work the way somebody might want it to.
codysluder

Postby xedi » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:40 am

Hidden? It tells you the controls right when the application starts and after 5 minutes trying out, anybody should be able to set up LwP to start in the F@H mode automatically.
xedi

Postby bruce » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:03 pm

I think he's asking just how you figure out that you should press Square and then Down -- or some other equally obscure sequence of button-press operations. Once you find the right menus, it's very straightforward, but finding the right menu is "hidden"
bruce

Postby Zagen30 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 am

Yeah, I had been running the PS3 client since it first came out and it took coming onto this board and seeing the new FAQ thread that I found out how to switch to the old view. The holding of square while pressing the D-pad buttons is not all that obvious.
Zagen30

Postby typo » Sun May 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Zagen30 wrote:Yeah, I had been running the PS3 client since it first came out and it took coming onto this board and seeing the new FAQ thread that I found out how to switch to the old view. The holding of square while pressing the D-pad buttons is not all that obvious.

Ya the description if the buttons when it starts may be kinda cryptic if you're not used to sony inconography. they show a sorta double arrow thingy on the square key and you're spozed to figure it out from there.
typo

Postby bruce » Sun May 10, 2009 10:44 pm

typo wrote:
Zagen30 wrote:Yeah, I had been running the PS3 client since it first came out and it took coming onto this board and seeing the new FAQ thread that I found out how to switch to the old view. The holding of square while pressing the D-pad buttons is not all that obvious.

Ya the description if the buttons when it starts may be kinda cryptic if you're not used to sony inconography. they show a sorta double arrow thingy on the square key and you're spozed to figure it out from there.

I agree that the navigation is crypitc (to me, not "kinda" but "extremely") but nrimon has already said they'll try to do something about this. Six months ago (previous page of this same forum) he said yes, but apparently it didn't get included in this version :(
Subject: Life With Playstation integration

nrimon wrote:
ChelseaOilman wrote:Hi Noam,

Any chance of getting a flow chart showing the complete menu structure? I think it would help a lot of people, including myself. Currently it's like walking through a maze without a map, and it seems to get more complicated as time goes on.

Ok, it might be possible to come up with such map on the help pages, it's a good proposal but may take a while to do.
Thanks,
Noam
Sony Development Team
bruce

Postby Zagen30 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:00 pm

Well, on the updated version the button map is shown at the bottom of the screen all the time, which I think might help. I can sort of understand how the devs decided one long arrow should represent holding down the button, and think the issue before was that the button map only flashed for a short while, and you couldn't see it when you were actually trying to change channels. Now that you can see it all the time, it might be more obvious.
Zagen30

Previous

Return to PlayStation3 client