Guidance for building a folding dedicated computer

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.

Re: Guidance for building a folding dedicated computer

Postby Nathan_P » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:04 pm

For me, PCIe 3 was worth an extra 1-2% over PCIe 2. that doesn't sound like a lot but when its a 1070 pushing 600k that's an extra 12k PPD
Nathan_P

Postby QuintLeo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 pm

v00d00 wrote:Both systems running Slackware 14.x with a modern kernel. But I also got this same amount last year on Debian.

How did you get folding working on Slackware (I'm presuming 14.2)?

I'd LOVE to drop XUbuntu on my dedicated folding rigs but could never get folding running under Slackware....

As far as PCI-E utilization goes - it goes in bursts/packets, so while the average might be low there will be times it saturates or at least on PCI-E 3 16x gets heavy loaded.
QuintLeo

Postby v00d00 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 am

Its not impossible to fold on any Linux distro. But their are a couple of caveats.

I dont use FAHControl. So I dont need any dependencies attached to it. I only use FAHClient and its web management interface. Everything else is run from scripts. Mostly a script that checks its working, something to look for hangs and a toolkit script that can display logs, delete and reinstall FAH from a snapshot, change client-types, etc. (just a case statement with a ton of options).

I've done it this way since they released a Linux client (cant remember when that was off-hand, but i've been running FAH on Linux since v3, although it was run via Wine back then). My machines are essentially Slack 14.1 with updates applied. If you want hard, try getting v6 to work on LinuxFromScratch, that was fun. Slackware is no harder than Arch, Debian or CentOS (much easier actually, considering you dont have to faff with systemd).

Also if you decide to retry, it may be that you need to enable multilib support. If you do a search for "AlienBob multilib slackware" it will give you the lowdown on what you need and how to do it. I had to install it to get Steam to work, so that may be a reason why FAH also works. The other thing is you need a 64bit version of Linux (for the FAHCore's as I remember). I use Slackware 64.
v00d00

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:54 am

Most of the discussions by folks who have successfully installed FAH on slackware are in
Q&A about unsupported distros of Linux
bruce

Postby v00d00 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Its fine Bruce. I will start a How-To thread later for Slackware over in unsupported distros. I did a quick search through topic titles and their doesnt appear to be a Slackware specific thread.
v00d00

Previous

Return to FAH Hardware